Home recording questions, their specific.

Trendflows

I am looking to start up a home studio, nothing crazy, i am receiving a macbook(black book) 2.4 ghz 2 gb ram 200+ hard drive room.
I own 2 dynamic microphones, one is an audix OM2, the other is a cheap coby microphone(dynamic).
I am looking to use Pro Tools but i'm afraid to purchase the mbox 2 deal due to all of the difficulties stated.
I think that might be the best way to start however.
I am looking into purchasing the Shure SM57 for a good mic to have around, and something to record some random odds and ends like brass and acoustic guitar with.

Should i purchase a seperate interface and then purchase Pro tools standalone? Im working with around a 500 dollar budget for an interface and program.
Also i was wondering sound card wise, i couldn't just buy a seperate pre amp and then get pro tools, their is a certain quality of sound card you need for that correct? I was looking at the M-Audio DMP3 if i could somehow just buy a preamp to go directly into my computer.

I also would like to know how my keyboard gets connected to my interface, along with a guitar, does it go normal chord as you would plug into your amp straight into the interface? or is there and adapter that i would have to purchase.

Mainly i am asking about the interface and software, is the mbox 2 a solid choice?

Thanks for all your time,
it is truthfully appreciated.
Im sorry if this comes across as silly questions

By the way i'm stamos and it is a pleasure to meet you all.
Best Regards,
Stamos

Last edited:
Pro Tools only works with pro tools hardware. There may be something in your price range that will do it, especially in the used market.

If by "pro tools" you just mean DAW in general, then there are lots of soundcards and programs in your range that will leave you money left over

If you are just starting up, then maybe you could think about getting something like an Edirol or Tascam interface. These connect via USB to your PC, and will accept a mike and/or line input, and also have a midi interface. You can therefore record vocals, guitars or keys via midi through the one device which acts as your sound card.

These often come bundled with audio software (such as Cubase) which allows you to mess with stuff on your computer.

An SM57 is a reasonable mike to have around. Later on you might think about adding to your arsenal of mikes.

As for your keyboard connections. You should use four actually. Connect the 1/4 stereo L/R outputs to you interface inputs. This allows you to record (in stereo) what you hear coming out of your keyboard. This is the simplest way to record your keyboard performances.

You will discover midi somewhere down the curve and will probably want this advantage incorporated into your setup.

To use midi, connect the midi out from you keyboard to the midi input of your interface, then connect the midi out from your interface to the midi input on you keyboard. This will allow you to record the notes you play into a sequencer (does Pro Trolls even provide sequencer functions?) and control any softsynths or other midi commands/keyboard shortcuts you will inevitably use in the future. You may also discover software editors for your keyboard that can use these connections to let your keys "talk" to the computer.

Any interface you buy MUST include a midi in/out if you are a keyboard player.

Thank you all so much for your help.
I took your advice and found a few interfaces im interested in however i will not waste your time with a question i can find somewhere else on the forum.

Is it true that you can plug a preamp into an interface? and if so is that a commonly used tactic to have more mic outputs?
Also Cubase LE, i've heard thats the light edition is this a version that lacks somethings the normal edition would?(i've googled this to no avail i apologize)

Finally are monitors a necessity in the a small recording studio, and if so can they plug into the interface?
The interface i was looking at by the way is the Tascam US-1641.

Thanks for your time again folks,
I apologize for the silly questions, since we're in noob forum im sure you expected it.

Best Regards from NY,
Stamos

Back