Home Recording Course?

lordbodom

Is there a free home recording course available anywhere? I want to get into home recording and want to learn the basics. I specifically want to create metal music. I have some understanding of how it works. I have Cubase and have been able to record some things but they dont sound that great. Wanted to see if there were guides for setting levels, using plugins, mixing techniques/etc?

Yeah. I guess I was hoping for a hold my hand and lead me type of thing :laughings:. Been doing some stuff and getting frustrated. Dont really know what im doing much.

Yeah. I guess I was hoping for a hold my hand and lead me type of thing :laughings:.

I know I'll sound like a dick, but please bail out now if that's what you're hoping for.
Information on almost any topic is now available - Right at your fingertips!

Get your google on, my friend. Find a good youtube content creator and absorb everything from their tutorials and most importantly, try, try try.....Experimenting is the best way to learn.
Every tool you buy (hard or soft) should come with a manual so read that. Don't adopt the British attitude that reading instructions is to admit defeat. :p (guilty!)

Wikipedia is good for quick and easy access to basic facts. Plugin parameter functions, principles of sound etc.

When those things fall through, we'll be here. :)

Welcome to HR.

I know I'll sound like a dick, but please bail out now if that's what you're hoping for.
Information on almost any topic is now available - Right at your fingertips!

Get your google on, my friend. Find a good youtube content creator and absorb everything from their tutorials and most importantly, try, try try.....Experimenting is the best way to learn.

When those things fall through, we'll be here. :)

Welcome to HR.

Thanks. Been watching a lot of youtube videos and learning a lot of stuff. New things seem to constantly pop up i wasnt aware of. Embarrasing but i dint even know what a compressor was, or how to EQ properly, etc. Will check around and learn more.

Read and ask. Just don't be too sensitive to some of the people who respond. But I can see by your join date, you probably already know that.

I think other than sound treatment and such, you just have to start posting your recordings and getting feedback. Go from there.

Thanks. Been watching a lot of youtube videos and learning a lot of stuff. New things seem to constantly pop up i wasnt aware of. Embarrasing but i dint even know what a compressor was, or how to EQ properly, etc. Will check around and learn more.

That's not embarrassing. We all start somewhere.
For example, the protools dyn3 compressor has an especially good visual representation of what it's doing.
I'm not saying buy it, but it'd be good to look up tutorials on how to use it.

I think it can really help someone to understand what's happening, rather than what preset sounds good. :p :p

EQ is, perhaps, more accessible since consumer hi-fi systems are likely to have a 3 band parametric or a multi band graphic eq.
It's a bit easier to hear exactly what you're doing with those.

Try using effects to the extreme to really hear what's happening. I used to find that helpful!

Google and YouTube are you friends, as is the Search function on this site.

Anything you can't find, ask. :thumbs up:

Back