Home recording with a blue yeti and a mac.

Spraggy

Hi all, the term newbie seems a bit advanced for where I am.

My daughter is starting out as a singer doing parties, charity gigs etc.

For her birthday we treated her to a recording studio session ans was chuffed with the results, it has even prompted me to set up some type of recording arrangement at home.

I have recently purchased a Mac which has garageband installed and have ordered a yeti Mic, is this all I need to get started?

The idea is to be able to record tracks for use towards a demo to go along with the three she recorded at the studio.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Spraggy

Prettymuch that's all you need! The Blue Yeti is a usb mic so it just connects straight to your computer. Also, just to keep it real :-)D), keep in mind that the Blue Yeti won't exactly give you the same vocal track quality as the studio ones! It shouldn't be terrible though. Definitely a nice usb mic!

Hi there,
Technically yes, that's all you need.

Guitaristic's right though, be prepared. Your tracks may not match nicely with the studio ones.
There are a lot of factors outside of gear that affect the final sound.
The recording environment, the monitoring setup, any tools or effects the studio used.

Let us know how you get on though.

You'll want a mic stand with boom (I am partial to the $55 Tama MS205, but there are cheaper) to get the mic off a desk so she can stand while she sings. Depending on her mic technique, you may or may not need a pop filter--I think the Nady is like $10, or you can DIY with nylons and a coat hanger or cheap 6" embroidery hoop.

Also, a decent pair of headphones, closed-back, over-ear, comfortable; looks like the Yeti wants in the 16 ohm range, so don't go over 60 ohm headphones or you might find they won't get loud enough with the Yeti.

Something from this range, or the equivalent Sonys, AKGs, Sennheiser, etc.:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more

Given that you are 'chuffed', you probably need those prices translated into pounds or AUD or Euros . . .

Thanks all, have bought a double layer pop filter and already have a stand so looking forward to trying it out, will post one of her tracks once done. The software is definately the next step but will try garage band first to see how that goes.

Back