Home made reverb!

randomeyes

This is not really a recording question but something more along the lines of an accomplishment. I just wanted to share it and see if anyone else has done something similar.

I own a Peavey Bass guitar and two fender bxr100 bass amps. I was playing a while ago through both amps and I wasn't really liking the "dry" sound of them. The bxr100 do not have reverb or chorus or any effects built in. Now, I like a little reverb. So I thought, "Hmm... how can I get some reverb without plugging into my guitar halfstack?" Then it hit me! I found this little 30 dollar mic i had bought a while back with a 1/4" jack on it. I plugged it up to the input on one of my bass amps and plugged my bass guitar into the other amp. I set my mic about 3' in front of the amp I was playing through and turned the other one on. After a few minutes of mic positioning and eq adjusting: Viola! Home made reverb! I can move the mic and adjust the eq and it is similar to adjusting the reverb parameters on a dedicated reverb box!

I just wanted to share this with all you great people! Thanks for listening.

that is indeed cool man
I also have somethng to share
one day while playing on my computer with
the little mic and the windows recorder
I turned the wav of my voice around backwards
and added some reverb and then turned it back around and thought it was just sooo cool
but to my surprise when I started telling people bout it I find out that someone else did just that like 30 years ago
I think it was led zepplin
not bashing u but I was soo mad after that
:-(
later
_Syn

That sounds like a good idea.

I've got a good one too. When I want reverb in my voice I take a banjo that I own and tune the strings to the key in which I am singing. I place the back or open end of the banjo near the mike. When I sing the strings and the skin of the banjo vibrate in sympathy and sound like an echo. I can vary the reverb by adjusting the distances between the banjo, my voice and the mike.

Tucci

And what happens if you use TWO banjos at different distances from the mic/voice, and run the whole shebang through the led zep procedure? Damn! You guys are awesome.

This is the heart of what this site is all about. People with new ideas carefully describing their experimental design and their results so that others can build upon it and give back to the community. Even those experiments that involve results that (sonically) most audio engineers would sneer at are extremely useful in that they show us how the equipment that is actually available to the general public can be used in a manner not imagined by the engineers who designed it to create new (and beautiful) music.

I can't wait to see the next Alesis Q2000 effects processor with a patch called "2 banjos, a backwards WAV, and a mic" :)

P.S. to syn...why feel bad if you independently invented a classic technique? You didn't waste your time, you proved you're on the creative level of top producers! Besides, Led Zep and the Beatles would have done anything for the kind of technology we now take for granted...don't get mad, get even :)

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 07-07-1999).]

thanx everybody for yer kind posts
and cool advice, dragon u are right and
I will get even :-) anyone else have any
good homeade effects like miking a bass amp
with the mic inside of a fishbowl or in front of a fan or ..........

_Syn

Hey thats kool, I made/re-created the light saber noise from star wars. I have a funny feeling that it has to do with grounding, but I have some of my gear set up on these metal gorilla racks, and was messing with my mic and just happened to get to close to the rack, and the sound just....sounded! I thought it was kool! so now I think I have it tweaked enough to make it sound exactly like a light saber. Can this damage any of my gear?

You bet you can damage your gear with a lightsaber! Didn't you see what happened to Darth Maul? :)

How about a WAV file for the rest of us?

how bout a place to post some streaming audio
and everyone share ?
might be expensive though but I hear dragon
was at least as rich as bill gates :-)

Back