Hi everyone :) DAW not recording :)

gio_powhatan

Hey guys,

hope you all are doing great!
Let me introduce myself, my name is Gio, I live in France, and just started recording some synths on my Logic Pro a couple of years ago. New year's resolution, I've decided to spend more time doing and recording music.
I was trying a couple of different set ups, but right now I'm struggling to have my Lexicon Αlpha simply recording what I'm doing.

To explain : I have my Korg audio out plugged into the Lexicon Αlpha In. And the USB cable connected to my computer.
The Lexicon seem to be working just fine : I can hear the synth when I'm using the headphones on the Lexicon.

The DAW recognises the Lexicon (I can chose "Lexicon Alpha" from the Audio Input and Output), but
- it won't record any sound coming from it,
- when I send the output to the Lexicon, and use my headphones to hear if the audio is being transmitted, there's nothing going on.

I checked several tutorials online, just to see if there were some parameters that I inadvertently changed tweaking here and there... Couldn't find anything to troubleshoot my problem.

If you guys have any advice on what it could be, it would be SO appreciated.

Thank you thank you,

Bisous from Paris,

Gio

Hi Gio and welcome.

I don't have/know Logic Pro but I suspect it routes signals in much the same way as most DAWs? You don't give the model of the Korg so I shall assume it has two output jacks on the back for left and right outputs?

These then go to the L/R chan 1 and 2 line inputs on the back of the Alpha. Have nothing going into the front. The cables used should be 'TS' jack to jack plugs, as you would use on a guitar. I doubt the output of the Korg is balanced and neither will the inputs to the Lex.

If that all is the case you should get the signal through the headphone jack on the Alpha?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

thank you so for taking the time to answer this... such a newbie situation!
Yes, so I have 2 TS (I just checked, they're 2 TS on both ends) connected on one end to the MicroKorg (Line Out) going into the chan 1 and 2 line inputs on the back of the Alpha, as you say. Nothing in the front, except my headphones : I can hear the sound of the Korg well, which is why I reckon the problem must be between the Lexicon and the DAW.

I took a screenshot of my Audio settings in Logic. The weird thing is that Logic finds/recognizes the Lexicon, but it won't record/receive any sound coming from it.
And when I select the Lexicon as my output device, I can't hear the signal coming out of my headphones that are still plugged to the front of the Lexicon.

Schermata 2020-01-09 alle 16.14.33.png

Thank you Dave,

Gio

Ok Gio, well I am sorry but you will have to wait for a mac/Logic person to catch you. I am pretty good with PC and most DAWs for them but not macs.

You do seem to have the hardware sorted correctly. You could try Reaper? If that does the trick then it comes back to settings in Logic?

Dave.

Thank you Dave, for your help.
I made some MAJOR improvements in the meantime : I tweaked the Sample Rate from 44,1 to 48 kHz, and I'm now getting a signal within the DAW, but it's _super_ distorted, like my Mac/the Lexicon are not able to process it...
Do you know if this is the right solution to my problem ? And if yes how I can fix this new problem ?

Thank you,

Gio
Schermata 2020-01-09 alle 16.50.52.png

Thank you Dave, for your help.
I made some MAJOR improvements in the meantime : I tweaked the Sample Rate from 44,1 to 48 kHz, and I'm now getting a signal within the DAW, but it's _super_ distorted, like my Mac/the Lexicon are not able to process it...
Do you know if this is the right solution to my problem ? And if yes how I can fix this new problem ?

Thank you,

Gio
View attachment 105490

All I can think of is that you have the buffers set much too low. Don't want to slag off that interface but it IS getting on a bit! The early USB AIs were not noted for low latency and needed a high buffer setting. But then macs handle audio differently from Windows so I don't really know?

Dave.

I note that on your screen shot you have Lexicon slected, but on your output device you have "built in output".

What you should be aiming for is to have your output also go through the Lexicon, and have headphones and speakers connected to it.

Thank you to both. I SOLVED IT.

Dave I have set the buffer to 256 samples, and Gecko I have selected the output through the Lexicon.
It didn't solve my problem at first.

I started having an error message : Error while trying to synchronize Audio and Midi. Sample rate 31960 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device.

But then I looked a little bit on the internet, seemed to have a similar problem to this guy right here : discussions.apple.com/thread/7583277

And I finally managed to solve it by going to Utilities > Midi devices, setting everything back to 44.1 kHz.

I then restarted my computer, and everything seem to be working just fine now.

Most grateful for your help, guys you definitely put me in the right direction.

Have a nice day you two, thanks again.

Gio

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-01-10 alle 11.31.23.png
    Schermata 2020-01-10 alle 11.31.23.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Schermata 2020-01-10 alle 10.29.50.png
    Schermata 2020-01-10 alle 10.29.50.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
Back