hey phantom power wont fry my shure 57 will it?

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
just curious...Im guessing no...secondly is it better to use phantom power with it when available, or just turn up the level?...or does it matter ie am I just wasting power? Thanks...

No, but there is a possibility of damaging the console opamp in the input if your not using XLR style connectors. Most console operating manuals warn against having unbalanced microphone cables or other unbalanced input cable plugged into that channel when the Phantom power is on. I recently did this on accident because of not zereoing the desk after a session because of being rushed.

SoMm

eurorack mx802A

hmm...this thing has phantom power, but its just one switch, not on individual channels...I plug everythin into it turn it on and go (mics, amps etc)...I will be checking my manual now :D

It shouldn't harm the SM57, but there is no point in using phantom power with the 57 since the 57 is a dynamic mic and dynamic mics don't use phantom power.

If your phantom power is either on or off to all available channels, and you need it on to power a condenser mic in one channel, and the 57 is plugged into another channel, it should not harm the 57. If all you have plugged in is the 57 (and/or other dynamic mics), just keep the phantom power turned off.

As Mixerman said, it will not hurt anything unless you have a bad and/or improperly wired cable.

I have the same situation. I use an Alesis mixer where you can turn on phantom power for all channels, or none. I also have a bunch of SM-57 & 58 mics. Haven't smoked any yet....

yep pretty much the situation I am in is what DKMurp described, using condensors and dynamics at the same time, I couldnt find anything in the manual either, and Ive been actually running things like that awhile anyways, I was just checking up here to see if for some odd reason I was wrong about that. Thanks for the replies guys.

Back