Help with white noise

Eide96

Hello, im very new to all this. I recently bought 2x krk rokit rp6 g3, and a SubZero AI2 usb, with xlr cables in between. I keep getting kinda a low white noise from one of the monitors, and this monitor Also powers up at random moments when i use a different output. I think might be processor-noise, since the white noise intensifies when heavier programs are used on the pc, so any tips to get rid of this? Also, would you say that these 2 monitors with that audiointerface is any good? I mainly make edm so and is not amazed by the sound quality. Thanks.

Hello, im very new to all this. I recently bought 2x krk rokit rp6 g3, and a SubZero AI2 usb, with xlr cables in between. I keep getting kinda a low white noise from one of the monitors,

Do you get the noise if you have the monitors plugged in and switched on without USB being connected to computer? Have you checked to see that the input gain on a channel is not at maximum.

and this monitor Also powers up at random moments when i use a different output.

I'm afraid I couldn't work out what you are describing here. You might need to go into more detail.

I think might be processor-noise, since the white noise intensifies when heavier programs are used on the pc, so any tips to get rid of this?

Hearing processor noise in monitors is not uncommon, and is usually a consequence of power supply and motherboard design. It's usually fixed by using balanced cables between interface and speakers. However, if you are using XLR to XLR, you would already be using balanced cable. Unless maybe you have XLR to RCA.

Also, would you say that these 2 monitors with that audiointerface is any good? I mainly make edm so and is not amazed by the sound quality. Thanks.

KRK speakers are fine. I haven't head of the SubZero interface, but most interfaces these days do a reasonable job. If you are not amazed by sound quality, I suspect there are set-up issues rather than problems with the equipment. Have you tried playing commercial music through the system from your computer?

Yeah the Sound only comes when the USB is plugged into the computer. The input is in
The middle in flat so that’s okay.

What I mean by powering is that one of the monitors get a signal to start up, and I can see the light in the Krk logo go bright and the relay click.

Yeah I’m using male to female xlr cables.

The sound is not bad, but I think my placement might be bad, the speakers just stand on a wooden desk atm, and are 60-70 cm apart, and I have walls on both sides 20-30cm from the speakers, and a window 10cm from the back of the speakers.
The speakers get the power from the same extension cord as the pc, do you think that might interfere?

Yeah the Sound only comes when the USB is plugged into the computer. The input is in
The middle in flat so that’s okay.

What I mean by powering is that one of the monitors get a signal to start up, and I can see the light in the Krk logo go bright and the relay click.

Yeah I’m using male to female xlr cables.

The sound is not bad, but I think my placement might be bad, the speakers just stand on a wooden desk atm, and are 60-70 cm apart, and I have walls on both sides 20-30cm from the speakers, and a window 10cm from the back of the speakers.
The speakers get the power from the same extension cord as the pc, do you think that might interfere?

So dont plug in the usb :(

powering up at random sounds like a software problem

placement has nothing to do with noise
hum yes noise no

you got problems with the computer or interface card maybe both

Yeah but i have to usb to Get Sound from the computer? I have tried using jack cables but that made much more white noise.

Its not a huge problem, but can be annoying at times.

Yeah mabye i should change the motherboard on the computer. But again its a quite new and powerful coumpter. And the audiointerface is just 2-3 months old, and already made the noise when it was Brand new.
Sorry for my english haha.

You're a little unclear about the noise. Are we talking about bus noise? A kind of low level digital noise that changes as drives work, mouse movements happen and screen displays change, or are we talking about hiss - which is a constant wide band noise. It's often called white noise, but hiss is normally constant and present in many audio devices to a small degree. Are we talking about a loud HISS, as in FM radio between stations white noise, or a gentle background hiss that while annoying, is reasonably quiet? All amps create it to a small degree - most so small we don't hear it, but when you turn them up, it's there. A common noise problem is having the active speakers turned up too loud, because the input signal is too small.

What would really help would be if you could use your phone to show us and let us hear the problem. you might not, as a new member be able to post a link - but you could send it to any of us as a message, and we could do it for you. We'd be able to hear and see the problem and one of us might have a brainwave.

For what it is worth - the annoying bus noise often pops up. I have two computers in the studio - one for music stuff, and another I use to edit video. Both feed the studio sound system, and the video one has just started making the digital noises - a windows update started it off, so I expect it has found a supposedly better driver for the audio card, and it's not better at all!

I would NOT even think about a motherboard upgrade - but try other things - powered USB hubs often solve these problems of noise on the USB line - for a small outlay, it could be a cheap fix - BUT - we need to hear the problem.

Yes exactly that! A low digital noise that changes when I click the mouse etc.
I am currently offshore at work so can’t film anything now, but yeah it’s exacly that noise. Have not thought about a usb hub, but yeah I can try that.
I have not updated sound drivers on the computer for a few months, could do that to.

Also, don’t know if it makes a difference, but the audio interface is connected to a usb2.0(i think) in the back of the computer. Would it be better to use one of the 3.0 usb’s instead?
Thanks so much for fast replies and helpful answers.

To be honest, it's always worth swapping USB sockets, not so much for the difference in speed, but the route to the motherboard can often be tortuous and as an example - the rear sockets on one computer all have a little noise on them, but the USB socket set via a header socket on the board, further from the video section is quieter. Often the noise is carried on the DC circuit too - so having the hub powered takes the load off the computer PSU, which can also help a bit.

Sub zero kit is uber low cost stuff flogged by "Gear4Music"Co over here Gecks.

That is a very basic 2 in 2 out interface for £60 and although it shouldn't hiss I guess QC is pretty lax on such cheap gear? Send it back.

Behringer seem to nailed the whale ***t prices market and their stuff is remarkably good, other firms maybe not so much?

Dave.

Back