help with the tapes

XStompEmOutX

I'm in a high school punk band, and we just recorded our songs onto a 4-track recorder through one mic strategically placed in middle of us. So now we have everything, good tracks and mess ups alike, on two tapes. From here we are completely clueless on how to do anything, but mainly on how to simply turn the 4-track tape into something that can be listened to on a normal tape player, and consequently edited and burned onto a CD on my computer. Can anyone help us with this? In a manner we would understand?

without sending it to a studio. We have very, very little extra money to waste on an expensive studio. Plus we think we should learn to do the whole thing by ourself, when possible.

first - I gotta ask....if you only used one mic why did you need a 4-track??? overdubs? just curious - you may have been better off recording straight to your computer

anyhow....what you need to do is mixdown to another tape deck...or better yet, if you're planning on burning cds and your computer has a decent sound card, you can probably just mixdown straight to your computer using the 'line in' on your soundcard. Your 4-track probably has some sort of main outs meant for just this kind of thing (mixdowns)....just connect these to the 'line in'. You can use the Windows 'Sound Recorder' to record a wave file of your mixdown which you can then burn to disc...there are also loads of other sound recording programs out there that you could use that will allow editing....

if you want to just mixdown to tape...hook some cables to the main outs on your 4-track and into the ins on a tape deck....adjust your individual track levels so your getting good levels on your mixdown deck, hit play on your 4track and record on your mixdown deck, and WALA!!! you have a mixed down version of your tunes

have fun :D

Take the Main outs on your 4track and connect it to the line in on your sound card. You will need some recording software. Your software will allow you to edit the tape into individual songs and put them in a format that you can burn onto CD. Obviously you will need a CD burner on your computer also.

Back