Help with recording on Reaper

Scalzitti

So guys, how you guys doing today?

I have some questions, can you guys help me?
I got a shure beta 87a mic from christmas and i'm planning on mic my guitar amp.

I know that is a mic for vocals, fuck that.

My question is: When recorded, i can add any plugins that i want? Or i need guitar pedals to get my effects?
Like, can i add reverb without any problem?

My question is: When recorded, i can add any plugins that i want? Or i need guitar pedals to get my effects?
Like, can i add reverb without any problem?

When recorded, you can add any plugins you want.

Or you can record the guitar with your own pedals.

Or, getting a bit more complicated, you can record your guitar, then send the output back to your pedals, then re-record that.

Reaper has a reverb plugin that you can use. Or you can download others.

The Beta 87a is of course a capacitor mic and therefore has an extended high frequency response and this can make a guitar amp sound "fizzy" but, peeps do use cap mics on G cabs so give it a shot. Maybe have the mic off axis a bit?

You don't say what the interface is but that mic is some 6dB hotter than a 57 and if you run the amp loudly you might clip the AI's input.

Dave.

If you don't have an audio interface that provides 48v phantom power, you will need to get one.

I have found that getting the sound I want of the electric guitar from the amp (including using pedals) gives me a sound I like better than adding FX after recording, except for a little reverb . But I will often record a dry (non-amped) guitar track at the same time so I can try things out with a sim and FX, just in case the amped sound didn't turnout the way I liked (in the mix).

I do have a audio interface, Behringer U-phoria Umc202HD
I'm testing de mic and it's beautiful, i can give you guys some demo's
I can adjust gain, and if it clip's i have a button called pad, and decreases the decibels.

Order of effects matters. Especially when there's a non-linear element involved. Pedals before the amp will be a completely different thing from effects added to the mic signal. If you don't know how and why, then you've got some learning to do. You can learn the how part by trying it. It'll usually be pretty obvious as soon as you hear it. The why part takes a bit more "book learning" of how different effects (including the amps) actually work.

Back