Help recording my live gig on DP008EX

Susan836

Hi all... new member and newbie with my DP008EX. Happy to have found you all!

I want to record my live gig tonight, and am just starting out with my DP008EX.
I'm using a Peavey PA head, and have 2 guitars and 2 vocals going through it.

The Peavey has aux outs that are RCA jacks. Can I use 2 RCA-to-1/4 inch cables, to
connect the Peavey outs to the Tascam A and B ins?

Is there a better way to do it?

Also...is a 16 gig card large enough to record a couple of hours?

I've searched the interwebs for these answers and found nothing...:mad:

Thanks in advance!
Susan

If the Peavey PA head is mono there's not much point recording on two channels of the Tascam recorder. You might use the other input on the Tascam for a room/audience mic.

I doubt you're running the Peavy in stereo mode, so you only need one cable/adapter. Set the Tascam input switch to Line/low. I would think 16G would be easily enough for a couple of hours of mono or stereo recording - but I couldn't find anything in the manual (here: TASCAM DP-008EX OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.), also not sure if ther eis a maximum track length on that recorder.

Thank you both.

Good idea about the B input as a mike at the speaker...then I could mix in a little of the ambient room sound if I wanted.

And yeah the manual doesn't have anything about how long you can record on a given card. Weird. And thanks... input set to "line low", got it.

I've been looking through the newbie sticky threads and am overwhelmed in a good way, by all the info and links. I'll be doing a lot of reading, I see, but I'm eager to learn.

Thank you both.

Good idea about the B input as a mike at the speaker...then I could mix in a little of the ambient room sound if I wanted.

I would keep the room mic away from the main or monitor speakers, or at least well off axis. The direct line will capture that part of the show just fine. Use the input-B mic to get the audience and the liveness of the room.

Okay, great. Thanks! Just had a schedule change, and switched tonight with a friend, so I'm going to record them and be able to monitor it...then in a few days I'll record myself.

Just touching base to let you both know that it worked like a charm. I have to do some reading now to learn more about the whole mixing down/mastering thing, but at least I have a file to work with.

Yes, when it formatted the new 16 gig card I got, it divided it into partitions, I guess because it needs to be able to move files around when mixing down. Off to do some more reading... lots to learn about this whole home recording process, but as singer-songwriter, I'm anxious to learn. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back around with more questions!

Back