Help with recording. Just started. Just got new gear for it.

kylendm

Hey all i just got some new gear and I'm still kinda new to recording.

Gear:
Lexicon - Lambda
AKG - Perception 220
Midi Cable
Stand

Amp:
Randall - RM100H
Cab:
Marshall - 1960 Lead
Guitar:
BC Rich NJ series w/ Emg 81 and 85

I have the mic on the speaker at the -20db setting.

Other than a noise gate what else will i need to make my sound more cutting and clear like real songs you'd hear today.

Clip:
http://www.box.net/shared/vy4953i1qj

Thx p.s. don't mind the simplistic playing. Sound is the main thing right now.

Its virtually impossible to make any judgement with it out of the context of a mix, however...

Dial back the gain and distortion on the amp. Less is more. Tracks with lighter distortion sit and sound much better in a busy mix.

At the moment it sounds like you've got the amp set up for what sounds good to you in the room, but you've got to think about the sound picked up by the mic and how it will sit in a mix; imagine putting your ear right next to the speaker (which raises another point... how are you positioning the mic?).

Also, if you're having to use the full 20db pad then you've probably got the amp waaay too loud. You can hear loud amp hum at the beginning of the recording which again points to you having gain cranked up high at several stages.

A ground loop is caused when the grounds of two pieces of equipment have a potential difference other than 0. If you use a cable running between them that also carries the ground, e.g. a balanced XLR cable, then you form a loop... A -> XLR -> B -> Ground -> back to A. From this you can then get interference in the form of mains-hum which will be at 50hz or 60hz,(depending on you AC operating frequency) and then harmonics of this (the buzz you hear).

I don't see where you could have a ground loop with the amp in this setup though. I've had problems with them between my interface and my laptop before, but that's a whole different story (interference from laptop power supplies is usually quite distinctive and sound different to the buzz you're getting anyway :)). It could be a different form of power interference... fluorescent lighting can be a bit of a pain.

check what you have in the room, tv's, light dimmers, and even computer monitors can cause unwanted buzz, also depending on the recording program your using there may or may not be a noise gate plug in that you could use

Last edited:
Back