Help on recording classical flute (tips/techniques)

ec_music

I'm new to recording and could use some help on improving my flute recordings, currently using a Apogee Mic+ on a stand placed 2-3ft away and above the performer. I can't seem to get the lows to come out or capture reverb well recording the flute, maybe I'm adding too much gain on mic.

I been avoiding going to XLR equipment due to size and budget, but it may be unavoidable to get better recordings.

Thanks,
Erci

To be fair - this mic is pretty decent for a USB mic, so I suspect your problem is physical - you've not found the right mic position yet, and the room itself may be working against you. I think we'd need an audio sample on soundcloud or similar so we could hear the problem. In my studio, flutes sound rather 'windy', so my best results are often with quite a bit of HF removed and plenty of experimenting with artificial reverb to put some air back in. My flute is not good - needs a service quite badly, so the best mic position for a warmer low end means it's also closer than ideal and the pads clack like the devil. I can go more distant and lose definition, but reduce the mechanical sounds, or go in closer for a warmer sound and be stuck with needing to change my technique to reduce the keyway noise.

Don't have access to include a youtube link, MozartSC.jpg
Well, could do this, remove the spaces: https : // youtu. be/JnYhFzGv-kM

First, let me commend you on your playing. It sounds very good to these admittedly "amateur" ears.

Listening to the recording on the video, the first thing is that you have a fairly lively room. It makes the reverb very short, and gives a somewhat hollow character to the sound. The piano and flute both show the same "space". I don't know if changing rooms is an option, but it would help to have some type of acoustic treatment to tame the reflections.

In addition, having the mic 2-3 feet away will not take advantage of any proximity effect that you typically get with a cardiod microphone.

To add lows to your your recording, try moving the mic closer to your flute, like 8-12 inches. You should get more direct sound, and perhaps a more even response. Also try adjusting the position between mouthpiece and keys. The downside is that if you are using the same mic to record the piano, its going to change that instrument's sound.

As for reverb, you can add very realistic reverb post recording. You won't get the type of long reverb that comes from a concert hall when in a typical living room.

Experiment as much as possible. Unfortunately, if you want a balanced recording of both the flute and piano in that room you may be looking at multiple mics to optimize both instruments.

First, let me commend you on your playing. It sounds very good to these admittedly "amateur" ears.

Listening to the recording on the video, the first thing is that you have a fairly lively room. It makes the reverb very short, and gives a somewhat hollow character to the sound. The piano and flute both show the same "space". I don't know if changing rooms is an option, but it would help to have some type of acoustic treatment to tame the reflections.

In addition, having the mic 2-3 feet away will not take advantage of any proximity effect that you typically get with a cardiod microphone.

To add lows to your your recording, try moving the mic closer to your flute, like 8-12 inches. You should get more direct sound, and perhaps a more even response. Also try adjusting the position between mouthpiece and keys. The downside is that if you are using the same mic to record the piano, its going to change that instrument's sound.

As for reverb, you can add very realistic reverb post recording. You won't get the type of long reverb that comes from a concert hall when in a typical living room.

Experiment as much as possible. Unfortunately, if you want a balanced recording of both the flute and piano in that room you may be looking at multiple mics to optimize both instruments.

Thanks but I was just recording it, definitely not any good in flute. I'd played with the angle to make him look more mature (13 year old) since he implied a lot people didn't take him seriously because of his age. The piano was in the room so couldn't do much with the location. This was a audition recording and they did not allow any editing of any type, but I'll play around a little more with rooms and recording distance to see what works best.

for an audition - it's perfectly fine - heard loads of wonderful recitals so poorly recorded that work fine for the academies and others.

Back