Help please.. recording singing via USB mic. combining singing and music

MajorClanger

Hi,

Ive bough my 13 year old neice a Studio keys SL300 usb mic and soundforge pro for xmas. She's got a great voice so it seemed like a good idea.

Anyway, she's got used to recording her singing just about via her laptop, but when she imports a backing track and tries to burn a cd , the backing music is on the left channel and her voice singing only sounds on the right channel (ie) not in steroe. I havent a clue what to do next to get the two combined.

Any help or advice on knowing what to do to get the voice and music combined in steroe across both channels would be really helpfull. I dont know the software at all but would really like to help her as much as I can.

Do i need to buy her some other software to do this or can it be done in soundforge? If so, how does she do it.?

Many Thanks, most appreciated.

Major

I don't know Soundforge, but sounds like you need to select both the backing track and the mic as STEREO tracks when you are recording.

Sound Forge is a great application but more of a mastering tool and perhaps the wrong choice for a young teen. I personally have found Tracktion to be very accessible and many here praise Reaper (which is free). I'd place her into a software package (like Reaper) that has a large installed user base who can help.

I appreciate that it can be excessively frustrating.

Back