Help with new home recording studio for recording tenor's voice.

magicturtle

Hello guys, i've reading some threads in this forum for the past few days until I finally decided to post something (i'm a bit shy, you know, also, i don't speak english very well).

Here's the thing, I want to setup a little (and fairly modest) home recording studio for basically 3 things: I want to learn about everything you talk in here sounds pretty cool and i like learning new things, secondly i'm a tenor and i would like to record myself singing (to hear my own mistakes) and i do like, like a hobby of sorts, radio dramas.

So, i've doing my homework and discovered a couple of things like that behringer x1622 USB mixer I liked is garbage, or that a Audio Interface is good enough for what i want, then i went to the microphone part and got completely lost.

For the Audio Interface i've been considering one of the FocusRite (Saffire Pro 24, Saffire 6 or Scarlet 2i2), the PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 or some TASCAM unit (us-200? us600? not quite sure yet). I would really appreciate your recommendations on these equipment, which one do you think is best (and cheaper) for what i want to do?

For the mics, i've been only considering condensers like the AT2020, the C1, or even the MLX V67G. I read somewhere in here that opera singers should record themselves with a condenser mic.

About the budget, thing is i live in Venezuela, in here the goverment has a limit on how many dollars you can use/spend every year. Right now, the limit is 400$. So either, i can a buy a 200-300 audio interface, and a >100 mic, or a 300 mic and a 100 audio interface.

I'm planning also, to expand these things next year, when i can spend another 400$ on things, but i would want something decent (and useable) right now. I read somewhere that a good mic and a crappy interface is a waste of money, probably the same is with a crappy mic and a good interface.

What do you think i should do? Any help would be deeply appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Edit: I have a 2008 macbook pro, so i have firewire 800 & 400.

Last edited:
I'd aim for a $150 interface and $250 for the mic, if I were you, if that's your limit. Either that or save the money and move! :facepalm:

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you recommend me an Interface or mic? How about those i was considering?

You can't sae the money. Using it for anything else than buying things is ilegal, (you cannot 'save' the money for next year, you cannot put it in you Bank Account, you can't change it in real money, etc. You just can buy something). It's really ugly in here. Buying these things in my country costs up to ten times the price on amazon.com or bhphoto. (hell, a behringer mixer is about $1000 in stores).

But a crappy interface wont reduce the quality of the recordings? or is even worst with a crappy mic and a 'good' interface?

Last edited:
Back