Thread: Help me please, i can't record well

Thanks

Help me please, i can't record well

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have no audio interface. I use a stereo cable that connects the pedalboard to the PC through the microphone input. When I record on Reaper, the sound is more or less tolerable. The problem is when I try to record a second track, for example lead guitar, while the rhythm plays. The sound of the recording is very distorted, with a horrible quality. This also happens if I turn on the metronome. It seems that the recording is affected when the pc produces sound at the same time. I formatted my pc a little while ago, and it seems to have solved the problem, however, I don't know how the problem came back. On the other hand, if you try to record in FL Studio, the sound is always bad. I don't know if it's any Asio problem. When I say that the sound is bad I refer for example to the sound of certain videos that are on youtube with poor quality where the sound comes out all distorted full of interference. Please I need help.

Thanks
    There could be many reasons for the bad quality of your sound, but at the heart of it is that you are using your computer's onboard sound system to do something it wasn't designed to do. For example, if you connect your pedalboard's line output to a computer's mic input, it's not going to sound too good because line level is way stronger than a mic level. Audio Interfaces are designed specifically and specially for recording, and if you have any aspirations to do serious recording, then you will need to think strongly about getting one.

Thanks
    Buy a real interface, as @gecko zzed suggests. It's going to make what you are trying to do possible, while what you are currently doing will only continue to frustrate.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KanooklaPook View Post
    I have no audio interface. I use a stereo cable that connects the pedalboard to the PC through the microphone input. When I record on Reaper, the sound is more or less tolerable. The problem is when I try to record a second track, for example lead guitar, while the rhythm plays. The sound of the recording is very distorted, with a horrible quality. This also happens if I turn on the metronome. It seems that the recording is affected when the pc produces sound at the same time. I formatted my pc a little while ago, and it seems to have solved the problem, however, I don't know how the problem came back. On the other hand, if you try to record in FL Studio, the sound is always bad. I don't know if it's any Asio problem. When I say that the sound is bad I refer for example to the sound of certain videos that are on youtube with poor quality where the sound comes out all distorted full of interference. Please I need help.
    You absolutely must have an audio interface to have a chance of doing it well.

Win10 makes it even harder to get right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I guess it depends . . .

I'm still using a Presonus Firepod that I bought in 2003. Even though it has been discontinued and there are no drivers for W10, W10 happily accepted the W7 drivers and the Presonus runs like a train on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    No it doesn't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thread Information