HELP....me build a home studio!!!

Blue Budda

This site Rocks!!!!....anyone with any advice on building a home studio, pc based, digital, let me know ......i have a budget of $3000+ and want to build one i can expand on rather than one that will become obsolete in six mnths.....were to begin????.....i have checked out many manufactors sites...and of course everyone sez their stuff is the shit.....i am confussed!!!! the more research i do the more confussing it gets.....!!!!!....can't someone just tell me .....start with this and then add that????
ya know what i mean???....any respone is greatly appreciated.... Thanx ...Blue Budda

It's all relative when it comes to building your own studio. However, I've found the Roland VS-880 an exceptional machine, and one that would provide an excellent foundation for future upgrades (you can slave any Roland digital recorder to another one and - viola! more tracks). Other than that make sure you invest in great mics, a decent pair of monitors, and some decent mastering software if you own a PC. With the proper know how you'll be rivaling the pros in no time. I've been completely blown away by what I can create using the above setup. And I'm very picky about how I want things to sound. Again, that's just based on my experience. Please weigh it against other's opinions. Good luck!!

Budda, well your off to agood start, cause you found this site and I'm sure it will be a huge help, as it was for me.
As for setting up your studio...well I'm no guru on the subject ( Dragons ya man ) but, from my experience the PC is the way to go. It just opens up so many more doors and gives you endless options ( depending on setup ) There are a few obvious questions, like...what if any instrument do you play ?...are you gonna be doing a one man band kinda thing from the bedroom ?
With a good PC ( as high spec as your wallet will allow ) you can go from composition to recording multi tracks of both audio and midi to mixing down and finally recording to CD. Then design your own CD inserts within your word processor. If you are into PC's I would recomend building your own, that way you can tailor the PC to "your" needs ( and save a bunch of money in the process ) It really is not that big of a deal, geez if I can do it there's hope for everyone.
So check out all the area's on this site, and do some ground work before you part with your hard earned money. With a budget of $3000 you can pretty much do it all.
Good luck with your dreams and I hope your projects come to life.
Alan )

Back