Help!! I want software/equipment so I can make demos?

Wren

I want software/equipment where I would be able to record someone singing and make cd's out of it. A demo.

Can someone help me with what I would need to add to my computer to do so?

I am not looking right now to spend alot. Perhaps in the future. I would like to see if I could use what I have now. I just bought the new HP digital/media PC.

I cannot figure out how to record vocals from a plug in mic other than the standard windows recorder which only records for like 55 seconds.

Is there software that I should buy that will allow me to record vocals being sung into the mic with a cd playing at the same time?

I probably need a good mic too. Do they sell them where they will plug into the back of my computer? Or will I have to purchase an adapter?

Yes, there are tons of programs... but most of them are expensive. I can sell you my copy of Cool Edit Pro, I don't use it anymore. $50 ok?

Wren said:
I probably need a good mic too. Do they sell them where they will plug into the back of my computer? Or will I have to purchase an adapter?

You can buy a USB mic. That is probably the best option if you don't have the equipment.

Isnt a USB mic just a standard computer mic?
What if I bought a good mic and an adapter to plug into my pc would that be better?
Also is the software you have easy to use?

What I am wanting most is to be able to record the vocals and then burn it to a cd. Does that software do it?

Wren said:
Isnt a USB mic just a standard computer mic?

You can get a really good USB mic that will have some quality to it.

Wren said:
What if I bought a good mic and an adapter to plug into my pc would that be better?

I wouldn't use the sound board that came with your PC, which is why I suggested a USB mic.

Wren said:
Also is the software you have easy to use?

Pretty easy. There is a forum here dedicated to it....

https://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Wren said:
What I am wanting most is to be able to record the vocals and then burn it to a cd. Does that software do it?

Does your computer come with a CD burner?

It has a cd burner and came with Sonic software and Rahpsody? I think thats what its called. Im at work so I am not 100% on the name... I could not figure out how either would allow me to record vocals onto my hard drive or onto CD. I could only get it to rip cds.

JoeBannon said:
Yes, there are tons of programs... but most of them are expensive. I can sell you my copy of Cool Edit Pro, I don't use it anymore. $50 ok?

Is there a website for Cool Edit Pro? How much does a new version cost compared to your version? And will it let me do the things I was wanting to do (record vocals with Cd playing in cdrom)? How would I go about buying it from you? pay..

I don't know if you saw I posted this in response to your original post.

At the most basic level you will need a few thngs.

1. A computer (I assume tyou have one as you posted here. :) )
2. A soundcard - this will send all the audio into and out of your computer.
3. A Microphone - obvious
4. A preamp - a preamp "converts" the signal from the microphone to one that your sound card can use.
5. Monitors - essentially speakers to play your stuff back on
6. DAW software - DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) is the actual software that records the input form your microphone/soundcard.

Recomendations for the above:

Soundcard - you could use something as simple as a SoundBlaster. But most folks use a card specifically designed for recording such as those from EMU or M-Audio.

Microphone - Microphones can run the gambit as there are 100s of mics to choose from and they are all different. See the Mic forum and read the Big Mic thread sticky to get started to at least know what you are up against. It is like trying to buy a car and not knowing the difference between unleaded, diesel, manual, and automatic.

Preamp - Again, 100s of choices. Lower cost preamps can be had from M-Audio, Behringer, and ART. Though, you get what you pay for too.

DAW - The big boy packages are Sonar, Cubase, Samplitude, and a few others. For folks starting out, I recommend you look to n-track, Tracktion, or Mutiltrack Studio as they are ll relatively inexpensive and get the job done.

EDIT: Find the newbie forum here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Wren said:
It has a cd burner and came with Sonic software and Rahpsody? I think thats what its called. Im at work so I am not 100% on the name... I could not figure out how either would allow me to record vocals onto my hard drive or onto CD. I could only get it to rip cds.

If it came with a CD burner, then it came with the software to use it.

Wren said:
Is there a website for Cool Edit Pro? How much does a new version cost compared to your version? And will it let me do the things I was wanting to do (record vocals with Cd playing in cdrom)? How would I go about buying it from you? pay..

It's Adobe Audition now. Cool Edit Pro was released in 2003, but it's still pretty good to use if you're on a budget and want to learn. I think it goes for a few hundred.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/index.html

JoeBannon said:
If it came with a CD burner, then it came with the software to use it.

Thats what I am saying. I can get it to burn cds but I cannot get it to let me record vocals from even just a standard plug in mic. It must require sep software

Wren said:
Thats what I am saying. I can get it to burn cds but I cannot get it to let me record vocals from even just a standard plug in mic. It must require sep software

Burning software only burns the CD. You need software to record, which is what Cool Edit Pro does.

I am getting off of work now. If you could email me with this info that would be great. Thanks!

Back