HELP! home vocal/acoustic "booth" - suggestions on sound diffusion

sbower73

Hi all,
I'd like to start recording vocals and acoustics at home, so I no longer need to enter a studio (or not often). I don't have an available small space at home, so I will be sectioning off my living room (which isn't really used as a living room).

I will be using a corner of the room, and created accordion partitions from plywood. The partitions are 8' tall (to the ceiling) with three 2' wide pieces, connected by hinges. When I set both up in the corner, it creates a "booth" around 5'x5'x8'. I've attached a picture of the partitions. They're not displayed, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

thumbnail.jpeg

I have a thick rug on the floor, but now I need to figure out sound diffusion. I'll need to treat the partitions, 2 walls and ceiling. What do you recommend to do this? Should I get foam panels? If so, diffusion? deflection? combination? moving blankets? both? something else? a combination? I suppose I'm worried about getting something that doesn't work good enough in the end, and be out some money.

I'd love some guidance if you have time.

All the best,
Steve

Dood, get out of the corner. That is the worst place to be.

Just hang some 2" thick rockwool or OC703 panels in a 'v' shape near center of the room. Works great.

I have staggered acoustic panels on walls in my room but I bet just with your surrounding furniture and whatever, you will be fine. Oh, and the foam on ceiling is just left there from previous setup. Sure it is doing nothing at all.

Don't over think this. Creating hard walls with your plan is only going to make things worse as far as reflections are concerned. Big room is better. Nobody ever said a small room is a good idea. Just some who want to isolate themselves use that approach. It never works well...

Here is a pic of what I mean.

Attachments

• Vocal Wedge.jpg
    Vocal Wedge.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 12
Yup, your vocals will sound very boxy in that wood 'booth'. Better to use the full room and try to damp down the room's reverb/slapback echo.

I agree, use all the space available and control the sound going into and back from it with duvets, blankets, whatever you have.

The 'Reflection filters' can be useful I understand but need careful setting up with the mic to avoid colouration.

Dave.

Back