Help fill my recording studio with stuff

romikell

Okay, here the deal. I want to put a recording studio in my basement. The strategic goal (in a couple of years) is to be running a studio where artists can have a demo tape produced for less than big dudes charge but enough that I can make a reasonable living. Yah, I know that's pretty subjective but I have a plan, and here it is:
1. Build the studio(I've been studying!), room in a room, lots of density, funny angles, bass traps, bla, bla,bla.
2. Fill it with stuff
3. Advertise.

What I'd like help with is WHAT to fill it with. I've already got a Boss BR-8 and it's fun an all but I'll need to move up. I want to be able to record a minimum of 8 tracks simultaneously, and I'd like to go with a computer based system. What do I mean by that? Well I'm not sure really... But that's where you come in!
Thanks! See ya.
Mick.

1. Build your studio.

2. Buy and fill it up with lots of used overstuffed couches and EZ chairs (it's alot cheaper than buying lots of expensive, high tech stuff). They'll fill up your studio really fast and won't be obsolete next week.

3. Advertise that you have the most comfortable recording studio studio in town.

[Edited by hixmix on 11-01-2000 at 17:53]

Hahahaha. That sounds a lot easier - and I might be able to sleep down there myself and avoid the roomies. yup. I think I want to go digital - recording that is not couch. I really like using the digital features like on the BR-8.

OK MAN. ALL JOKES ASIDE....GET A COMPUTER...MAKE SURE IT DONT HAVE ALL THOSE USELESS SOFTWARE PACKAGES THEY USE TO JACK UP THE PRICE ..JUST MAKE SURE IT HAS ALOT OF MEMORY.(MAC OR PC,DEPENDING ON WHAT UR USED TO BUT IF UR NOT USED TO ANY...GET A MAC) THEN GET DIGIDESIGN'S DIGI 001. IT IS A CROSS PLATFORM COMPUTER MULTITRACK RECORDING/EDITING/MIXING SYSTEM WITH PRO TOOLS . U WILL NEED A SYNTH OR KEYBOARD,THAT U CHOOSE ON UR OWN. THERE ARE BUNCHES OUT THERE. U WILL NEED A CDR TO GET UR FINAL PRODUCT ON. THAT SHOLD WORK FOR YOU ...THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO SET UR PLACE UP...BUT THIS ONE MAKES IT EASY FOR YOU TO HAVE ROOM FOR ALL THOSE EZ CHAIRS...LOL

Personally, I have a couple of 20 bit type II ADATs that I track on and up until a few weeks ago I had a G4 with the Digi001 for editing and mixing. For me I didn't like it. I picked up a 700 MHz P III coppermine and put a MOTU 2408 Mk II on the front end. I've been fooling around with Vegas, Cakewalk 9 and VST 32 as an editor and I'm leaning towards the VST. I'm liking this setup MUCH better. The MOTU is much more flexible than the Digi IMHO.

Hmmm... Yah, so you guys figure I should go pc. A couple of folks I been talkin to figure I should go mac. Hey Track Rat, is the G4 apple? What didn't you like about it?
As far as software goes it sounds like there's a lot out there but I think the guys at the local music shop would probably let me sample some of the stuff suggested. Any of you folks ever use Qbase?
What about other stuff? I'm planning on getting some Mackie studio monitors, but what about mixers and recorders etc., etc?
And what about LaZboy? I could get away with second hand I 'spose but what about fleas and ticks? On the talent I mean.
Oh never mind...

Yea the G4 is a Power Mac. The Digi breakout box only had 8 inputs and the Digi is limited to 24 tracks. The MOTU on the other hand has 8 analog,24 ADAT and 24 TDIF (Tascam) and the S/PDIF in and out. The digi has 8 channels of ADAT and the S/PDIF. In my situation, I already owned 2 other PCs so that is what I was used to. Switching between Mac and PC OS was making my head hurt, so the Mac was turned into the MOTU and some toys yet to be determined.

hey man,oh, its cubase.. i use it and i love it...it is not as flexible as digi001..but it is a pleasure to use once u understand it..i will stand behind it 100 percent...the mackie monitors are good...yamaha ns-10s are better but they arent powered...if u want good powered monitors,get the event ps5's. if u get cubase...then definately go pc. but if u get digi 001, go mac (oh if u get the the digi 001 u really dont need a mixer) if u use cubase i suggest u do...now the size of the mixer depends on the amount of stuff u want goin in and out of ur studio at 1 time...id go with any member of the vlz pro seiries from mackie the are rally good mixer with built in mic pres' that are really good

I got a question here- your BR8, is it any good? Coz we need an 8 track machine, only i think the br8's designed for "guitarists" (why guitarists, i dont know) So, is it good enough for just doing like an EP or whatever? Sorry about posting this on your question and everything...
FiL.

my 22 cents... (and a dollar rant)

First you will need a lot of MICS. Good ones. A handfull of 57's, a good kick drum mic, a nice large condensor for vocals and instruments, a pair of small condensors. You will need a MIXER, the size depends on what you need. Mackie does make good boards, the pre's are very good, but you will want some outboard MIC PRE'S too. A COMPRESSOR(s), sometimes you will need to compress going in. CABLE- lots and lots of cable. A HEADPHONE AMP and a lot of headphones. A POWER AMP (Hafler) and MONITORS (Get Events) or forget the power amp if you go with powered monitors. MIC STANDS you will spend more money than you ever thought on mic stands, you will need fifty-leven-hundred of 'em. TUNER. get a tuner, some bands don't use one, but make them use it. A DIRECT BOX.
So you want to go the computer route? don't do DIGI if you go PC. Soundcards are very very tricky. only time will tell who the performers are. software... Cubase. Cubase is hard to understand sometimes, but it's very good, Vegas is easy, but it dosen't handle heavy mulitracking with lots of effects as well as Cubase. Cakewalk, hmmm, the only reason to use Cakewalk is that you already know how to use Cakewalk and don't want to bother with Cubase. Plug-ins... waves are the best direct-x. lots of RAM, big fast hard-drive(s), a fast CPU... and a modem so you can crusie this site to figure it all out....

-jhe

Back