Help With Alesis Multimix and Audacity

aarongreen0123

Hello. I am fairly new to recording and I wanted to ask for some help. I recently bought two new interfaces. I got a Tascam 1200 that works great with no problems. I also got an Alesis Multimix 4 but the issue is that Audacity will not recognize it. I can see that my computer recognizes the device in the MIDI menu but Audacity does not see the device. I am not sure if I need a driver or something like that for it. By the way, I am using Audacity like I said on a Macbook Pro with OS X El Capitan. I would really appreciate any advice or help on this. Thank you.

Too bad you're using a macbook because your tascam 1200 comes with Sonar X3. Looks like it is only compatible with windows. Ideally you want to be using that, definitely don't want to be using Audacity for multitrack recording. Find an alternative. Reaper is pretty cheap. You can find lite version of other DAW programs for a good price. Cubase Elements 8 for $99.

And if you have the 1200, why did you also get the multimix?

I had some friends telling me about Reaper so I suppose I will just try that, and I bought the Alesis first and then a friend was selling the Tascam so I bought that one too. May end up selling the one that I don't like as much. Thanks for your reply!

I had some friends telling me about Reaper so I suppose I will just try that, and I bought the Alesis first and then a friend was selling the Tascam so I bought that one too. May end up selling the one that I don't like as much. Thanks for your reply!

Sounds good. If you ask for an opinion around here, everybody will tell you to sell the multimix and keep the Tascam. I did a quick look at the 1200 and it appears to have an onboard DSP. That is pretty cool. While they don't claim direct monitoring, they do claim low latency monitoring with effects. Once you figure out to what it can do for you, you'll like the convenience of it.

Back