Help

Dragon

Large and Scaly Mixing Maniac
Using DOP?

I know nothing about this program, but without a bit more information it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong. But is a K6/200 fast enough?

Im using Voyetra's Digital Orchestartor Plus on an AMD-K6 200 mhz machine with 64mb ram. I can make good, clean digital audio recordings on Windows sound recorder, but when i do it on DOP, its breaking up and choppy. As far as i know, all settings are fine. Ive tried making recordings on N-track and they are fine, but i much rather DOP. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Im recording at 44.1 sampling rate, ive increased the buffer size as large as it can go. I know my system isnt the best for doing digital audio, but ive had success with n-track playing and recording several tracks at 44.1. Digital Orchestrator Plus is from Voyetra and the format is the best ive seen for dealing with MIDI and digital audio together. Please let me know any more information youll need because if anyone can help me, i think that you can. Ive seen u help so many people.

What soundcard? Audio/MIDI integrated on the Motherboard?

I owned Digital Orchestrator a few years back and didn't like their MIDI interface.
Why do you think they call it DOP? ;)
The whole thing reminds me of Power Tracks Pro, another one of my least favorite tools.
As to the need for an integrated MIDI & digital audio program: I say this is unnecessary unless you plan to use this integrated output at a live venue. My MIDI tracks are recorded into digital audio when I'm satisfied with the arrangement and often act as the click track for further digital audio layers. I wouldn't necessarily blame your AMD-K6 PC for the failure of DOP. n-track won't run on my PII-450! And I think that CW has the best MIDI interface.

OK, 2 comments here:

1. drstawl! n-track won't run on your 450, but it's fine on my 400?!?! Something seems wrong with that...

2. My son has a K6/300 and it can barely get out of its own way. I don't think a 200 would be much better(!), especially if DOP has a fancier GUI (n-track has a very UNfancy GUI, which is great for low-power machines). Cakewalk is not likely to be much better than DOP, but wait till the demo for CW9 comes out before you decide. At least you can try it first!

ok guys, this board promised no laughing....whats a GUI? i am totally new to this....Next question. Since I get such great digital audio results with N-Track, should i get the registered version and scrap DOP? I will use DOP to record all my MIDI parts (drums, bass, keyboards) and bring that to N-track and record the guitar and vocals. now, how do i record the midi part to a wav file, and please explain in ENGLISH. Thanks!

The GUI, or Graphic User Interface is the display on the screen that your program uses to interact with the user via the keyboard /mouse etc. The fancier the display, the more machine resources are required to support it. Some audio programs (CW for example) do provide a way to scale back the fancy display of a waveform to free up system resources. When I'm recording direct to digital, I want the display to focus on the V/U meter.
And Dragon: I'm certain that my problem with n-track is not related to my PCs lack of processing power. 36 tracks in Vegas Pro.
No need to scrap DOP if it works on your system as a MIDI sequencer. And at the price they're charging for n-track- if it works on your system it's well worth getting the registered version.

Cool it, Gidge, you're almost there and think how much we've saved you already :)

OK, there's nothing to it. There are two ways to do it:

1. Find a MIDI rendering program by typing the words "MIDI" and "renderer" into your favorite search engine. This will just do what you want from your finished MIDI file, but might cost some more money.

2. Run both DOP and n-track at once. Play your MIDI in DOP and record it in n-track. You might have to click on the "monitor" check box in the Windows volume control applet (options/properties/recording/advanced and see https://homerecording.com/one_minute_digital.html if you don't know how to find the Windows volume control) or at worst, plug a patch cord between the output and input of your sound card (but in that case, you shouldn't have that monitor thingie checked).

P.S. to drstawl, I realized it's not your machine, and I'm sure your Windows is set up properly...that was the point, I've heard of very few problems with n-track so I'm kinda mystified on that one...

Back