Help!!!

Shaun Dipple

Hi,

I'm going to ask for forgiveness before I even ask my question as I'm sure I am being a dummy!!!

I am part of a five piece band who have been gigging using a BEHRINGER X2222USB mixing desk.

This is ideal for us for gigs as we only feed the Vocals and Drums through it.

However, we have decided to try and record some tracks and have realised that we should have purchased a different mixer to do what we want.

For recording we are feeding two electric guitars, one bass guitar, one electronic drum kit and two vocal mics into the mixer.

Whilst we can get the levels roughly right we feel that we would benefit from being able to split the channels when recording so that indivdual instruments can be tweaked.

I am aware that we can't do this with this mixer automatically but my question is this.... Is there a box that we can put between the mixer and laptop to enable us to split the channels or do we need to bite the bullet and get a different mixer?

We are not looking to create recordings for reslae, simply to get some sounds of a decent enough quality to upload to soundcloud or similar to assist when trying to get bookings.

Thank you in advance and please be gentle with me.....

Shaun

Hi there and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm afraid you bought a screwdriver for a nail.
However, your mixer does have channel inserts which can be used to take eight separate mono channels out to some other device.
It's not ideal, perhaps, but it works.
The problem there is you'd need an audio interface with 8 line inputs.

I have a motu 828mk2 which has eight line inputs, as well as two additional mic preamps. That's just one example, I'm not recommending it, necessarily.

You can get mixers that do what you're asking, I think, but quite often USB mixers are just summed to stereo (like yours) and it's a trap a lot fall into.

So there's two options - buy a mixer that does what you want out of the box, or by an interface to expand your present setup.
A third option is the old fashioned trial and error approach...Record/Listen/Change/Repeat until you get something you're happy with.

I get that it's extremely limited, though.

If you think recording, outside of live rehearsal, is going to be a thing for you, it might be worth considering a completely separate setup,
so rehearsal is rehearsal and recording is recording.
Just putting it out there but if that was the case, I'd look at an interface with enough preamps for your needs.

Back