Hello! I need some advice about this mixer that's been bugging with me all day

jen171995

So I recently purchased a 2000s Audio AMX7343 mixer this past Christmas. After finding the right USB cable, I connected it to my computer thinking that the setup will be basic knowledge. To my dismay, it has been anything but basic.
The DAW I primarily use is Logic Pro (Pro Tools users, don't laugh at me :D). I have a condenser shotgun mic connected to line 1, phantom power is on. The mixer shows healthy signal levels when i test the mic, but Logic will not detect anything...unless, strangely enough, if I tap the mixer itself. Then I will get clicks of a signal, no where near the mic. I clicked record just to see what it would do, and Logic pops up an error that says "Sample rate of 15,000 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device". I don't see any kind of setting on the mixer that allows me to adjust sample rate by analog means. The Audio MIDI setup on my Mac shows that the mixer is set at 48kHz sample rate. The Logic project is also set at 48kHz.
The only conclusion I can come to is that there is a compatibility issue between the mixer and my Mac, which is a late 2020 Mac Mini with the new M1 processor. However, I tried using a different mixer, the Peavey 6 BT, on Logic and the same computer and I got it to work perfectly. Im just really stumped because the Peavey is my boss's, not mine, and the 7343 has more inputs and more options for adjusting outputs.
I'm obviously missing something here, but I have fried my brain trying to figure it out all day. All the cables and mics are practically brand new and they work on the Peavey, so faulty equipment couldn't be it either.
If anyone could give some advice, or if anyone has experience getting the AMX7343 to successfully work on Logic, I would be forever thankful! :)

Can you get audio in or out through the mixer using any other software? For example, can you select it as the default audio device and hear playback from iTunes or YouTube?

I connected my monitoring speakers directly into the mixer. I can hear the mic well, so I set my computer to use the mixer as the output device and played something from YouTube. There was nothing. But that is something I hadn't tried before

So it's not just the specific software, it's the mixer. It could be an incompatibility with your computer or OS, or it could be a defect in the mixer. Could you try the mixer on a different computer, especially a Windows machine?

Ok, I got my mac's audio to play through the mixer by setting it up as an aggregate device. After that I connected it to a PC and used Adobe Audition to record. While it said the drivers were successfully installed and Adobe reads the mixer fine, there is still no signs of life from the mic on the PC, although I can still hear it coming from the speakers just fine.
I may give it up for today, as I've been working on this for nearly 12 hours now. I'd still hate for this thing to start gathering dust, so any more advice from you or anyone else is still greatly appreciated :)
Thank you so much for your help. At least I know it's not me making a noob mistake lol

Yeah, I've read through that too. The LCD says its connected to the PC, which should be a good sign, but the mixer is acting like it only wants to be an output, which is just boggling my mind lol. Thanks for the input :)

The fact that you were able to get audio out of the computer to the mixer as an 'aggregate device' means that the Mac's internal soundcard is still being selected as an audio device.

You do not need to create an aggregate device.

Audio settings are set globally in your SYSTEM PREFERENCES (Big "gear" icon -> SOUND) but you also have to specify the input/output devices in Logic Pro X's own Preferences->Audio, where you set the USB mixer as input and output, unless you want the output going to the system audio, instead. This is fairly consistent in OS X. (Windows tried to mimic this starting around Win7, but apps there are less likely to present the option to use different devices than the Control Panel's setting.)

Attached I've pasted the System Sound settings on the right for input/output on my old Mini, where I'm using the Saffire for both input/output in both, and my system sound settings, which are the same.

logic-prefs-audio.jpg

audio-ipnut.jpg

audio-output.jpg

No ProTools user is gonna laugh at you for using LogicPro. (Unless they're shallow snobs of some kind.) There are plenty of ProToolers who use LogicPro, and any one of a number of DAWs. ProTools is in virtually every studio in the world, and so is the default program, but believe me, it's not the only game in town. I use Samplitude Pro X2, and I feel no inferiority, but I can't transfer from studio to studio with that. But I don't need to, or want to, or have to. Someday I'll get a basic version of ProTools, just in case.
As far as the mixer goes, it sounds like you need to contact the manufacturer. 15,000 kHz is not "natural," is it? And if the software shows the correct sample rate, then something is wrong. Strange.

Back