Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat sensor lockout gone bad in studio monitor

Thanks

Heat sensor lockout gone bad in studio monitor

Sign in to disable this ad
    This may not be the right forum but here goes-where is the heat lockout sensor in a powered studio monitor? My monitors have these and I believe one of them has malfunctioned.It used to engage and then 30 minutes later the monitors' speaker would come back on...then it started doing it more an more until it locked out altogether...any help?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donithan View Post
    This may not be the right forum but here goes-where is the heat lockout sensor in a powered studio monitor? My monitors have these and I believe one of them has malfunctioned.It used to engage and then 30 minutes later the monitors' speaker would come back on...then it started doing it more an more until it locked out altogether...any help?
    Which monitor ?

Doesn't the manual tell you where it is ?

Answer may be found here
    Heat lockout sensor in a studio monitor | Telecaster Guitar Forum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    Which monitor ?

Doesn't the manual tell you where it is ?

Answer may be found here
    Heat lockout sensor in a studio monitor | Telecaster Guitar Forum
    It's a Sterling MX-5. I have an owners manuals(no schematics) but no service manual.

Thanks
    I wouldn't attempt to take them apart to look for the heat sensor.
    Odds are, it's a very small component on a PCB...and you won't be able to just remove it or bypass it.

The real question is...why do your monitors go into overheating and shutdown so much...?
    Are you cranking them to the max for longer periods?
    The one that was exhibiting more and more frequesnt shutdowns...well, you should have heeded those warning signs.
    If I was you, I would contact the dealer or manufacturer and see what they tell you BEFORE you make things worse by trying to fix it...and yeah, you would be better off with a schematic, but I bet you won't find one for those monitors...they're not the kind that would offer much repair options.

Thanks
    Robert, can you link to where you found the reference to " heat lockout sensor" for the Sterling monitors? Most of what I'm coming up with in a search relates to heat sensors in a Mazda MX5 Miata.
    There is likely some thermal protection built into the IC's in the power supply in the monitors which may cause a shutdown.

From the manual, is this what you may be referring to?
    "• Carefully check to see if the amplifier’s back plate is hot. If the
    monitor has been running at its highest power output for an
    extended period of time, it could be that the unit has become
    overheated and the protection circuitry has shut the system
    down momentarily. Your Sterling MX5 and MX8 monitors
    provide maximum circuitry protection against AC power
    surges, amplifier overdrive, and overheating of the amplifiers.
    Turn the monitor off then wait 30 minutes to allow the back
    plate to cool down. Turn the power switch back on."
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Robert, can you link to where you found the reference to " heat lockout sensor" for the Sterling monitors? Most of what I'm coming up with in a search relates to heat sensors in a Mazda MX5 Miata.
    There is likely some thermal protection built into the IC's in the power supply in the monitors which may cause a shutdown.

From the manual, is this what you may be referring to?
    "• Carefully check to see if the amplifier’s back plate is hot. If the
    monitor has been running at its highest power output for an
    extended period of time, it could be that the unit has become
    overheated and the protection circuitry has shut the system
    down momentarily. Your Sterling MX5 and MX8 monitors
    provide maximum circuitry protection against AC power
    surges, amplifier overdrive, and overheating of the amplifiers.
    Turn the monitor off then wait 30 minutes to allow the back
    plate to cool down. Turn the power switch back on."
    It was a progressive thing it didn't always heat up.Somehow it started shutting down and the n I'd wait.But after months it just won't come back on at all.And the other monitor doesn't shut down at all.I guess one of the two was a lemon.Warranty expired.I thought if I left it in the cold somewhere maybe it would reset?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I wouldn't attempt to take them apart to look for oI contacted the dealer and factory and the warranty expired plus they don't have parts for that particular monitor.the heat sensor.
    Odds are, it's a very small component on a PCB...and you won't be able to just remove it or bypass it.

The real question is...why do your monitors go into overheating and shutdown so much...?
    Are you cranking them to the max for longer periods?
    The one that was exhibiting more and more frequesnt shutdowns...well, you should have heeded those warning signs.
    If I was you, I would contact the dealer or manufacturer and see what they tell you BEFORE you make things worse by trying to fix it...and yeah, you would be better off with a schematic, but I bet you won't find one for those monitors...they're not the kind that would offer much repair options.
    I contacted the dealer and factory and the warranty expired plus they don't have parts for that particular monitor.It must have been defective or something I did to cause this.The other monitor of the pair never had shutdown.I'm in an apartment so the volume is never cranked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donithan View Post
    I contacted the dealer and factory and the warranty expired plus they don't have parts for that particular monitor.It must have been defective or something I did to cause this.The other monitor of the pair never had shutdown.I'm in an apartment so the volume is never cranked.
    Odd that they said they don't have parts since it appears to be still in production and being sold by GC. Is Sterling sort of GC's 'house' brand sold only by them?
    Mark.......

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    The thermal trip should never operate in any electronic device under normal operation and in temperatures that humans can tolerate. When son was home my Tannoy 5As were on a good 12 hours a day most days and running at 80-90dB SPL, never so much as a click. I am sure 99% of the guys here find their monitors the same? Totally reliable.

So, they are, I am sorry to say, poorly designed crap (the lack of backup service reinforces that opinion) Get shot and buy something better. For "proper" monitors perhaps the Adam 7VTs are the best around at the money. (may have that model # wrong, will check) Ah! T7V.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Odd that they said they don't have parts since it appears to be still in production and being sold by GC. Is Sterling sort of GC's 'house' brand sold only by them?
    I didn't ask.Guitar Center ,as far as I know, sells a lot of different ones..they had a big pile of these on sale in a corner a few years back

Thread Information