headsets

ecc83

I am a newb to Skype and find wearing headphones gives both son in France and I in UK a much better understanding. We are also both using a Citronics CCU3 LDC instead of laptop mic.

I am sure a headset would improve matters even more so can I ask for other's experiences please? I think USB is the way to go but the sets range from $15 or so up to many $$ with the bulk in the $20-$50 range.

I would not want the bulky 'gamers' cans and "noise cancelling"? Both our places are very quiet and the mic above works fine. Also don't need inline controls, once set in Windows, done and dusted.

Lastly..."Freezing" Pic and sound with son in France every 30 seconds or so and for 10 secs at a time..BLOODY annoying! Might be a glitch in W10 I read, anything known?

Dave.

Lastly..."Freezing" Pic and sound with son in France every 30 seconds or so and for 10 secs at a time..BLOODY annoying! Might be a glitch in W10 I read, anything known?

More likely to be bandwidth issues than W10. I've done Skype before, and you get the occasional freezes when the connection can't keep up due to other traffic or whatever.

More likely to be bandwidth issues than W10. I've done Skype before, and you get the occasional freezes when the connection can't keep up due to other traffic or whatever.

My download speed is a very consistent 24-26M and upload never less than 9M. That is from 'Ookla' but Google give download as 33M but I never get an upload better than 9 no matter which test I run. Not 'Light' speeds but good enough? Son is using internet via a phone so that could be the problem?

"Other traffic"? What would that be Gecks? I turn off email etc when I Skype will tell son to do same. I have installed Skype on a W7 laptop but have yet to do a linkup with that.

BTW, those speeds are via Wi Fi but the laptop is less than 2mtrs from the very good Talk Talk router.

Dave.

There's many a place betwixt modem and modem where the signal can get caught in bottleneck. Speed tests usually measure the relatively smooth highway between modem and the nearest ISP server, but can miss out on the gravel roads between server and server along the way to the destination ISP's server.

I find that my phone will be much slower than my computer, especially when I'm hooked to the 4G network, compared to when its connected directly to my wifi router. I don't have the latest Iphone, just a lowly Samsung J3, which probably has a much slower processor. If you're getting 25 to 30GB flow that should be totally smooth.

I know nothing about how Skype handles video trafficking, but I've seen the same thing on numerous TV shows where video chat is being used. Its usually not too bad when each is hooked via computer, much worse when one is using a phone. Between the video delays, and the way microphones cut in and out to avoid feedback, its really annoying.

I would guess the issue is more from your son's end. Does he have trouble with anyone else with whom he Skypes?

Headset I like is the Logitech USB headset. You can swing the mic out of the way, headphones are pretty small and lightweight. They are about 20ish US. Not too expensive and they work really well. Clear hearing and mic does a really good job. Not for listening to music with as they are mainly for speech.

With regards to the Skype, there are two way bandwidth points, yours and the other person. I usually don't have problems and my speed is about 20/3. Like Gecko stated, lots of "stuff in between connection.

Also, most cable connections actually share connections with their neighbors like a large network. If many people are at home in your neighborhood and on the net, that could give you performance issues. With many people working from home these days, that could be a reason for the less than perfect conferencing experience.

Mostly echoing what's been said - The main reasons for a headset I suppose are freedom of movement, removing a relatively large microphone from view, and sounding closer.
If any combination of those appeals to you then sure, it's a good idea.
I know plenty of guys with tin-can sounding headsets and plenty who you'd swear are using a nice separate microphone. I guess hit up the reviews and see what's what?

Regarding freezes/connection issues...
I'd have the son try a laptop or desktop or, at least, get him to run a speed test from his end.
Your speeds are more than enough - Maybe his will reveal something.

To rule out an Os/computer issue at your end you could skype someone else; someone with a known good connection + setup.

My Skype set up is the same as my Zoom set up (now) - Two LDCs (one mounted above the other, top one at about mouth height, 12-18" away from my sitting position), just out of view of the camera, which is mounted on the top of my video monitor. I'm back to using my Mackie Big Knob for volume control within easy reach for my JBL 305s.
My usual speed is 100/5. There are occasional Skype lags - video tends to stabilize 6-10 seconds after connection, but can occasionally freeze momentarily, nothing long though.
I have a headset mic, but don't feel any need to use it for skype, same with using headphones - my room is very quiet, and I can adjust volume with the BK, if needed. The other night sirens from 1/4-1/2 mile away could be heard in the room (open windows) and the other person could just hear the loudest/highest part of the siren.

Thanks chaps. £20ish is fine for a headset. I actually have a Sainsburys 10 quid jobby (have posted the mic sound, on speech here before) sounds fine but is 2X 3.5mm jack and this Lenovo does not have a mic input but a TEKNET USB to jacks dongle sorts that. I would however like something more sturdy and with a positional mic.

I think I have muddled minds about son's 'phone'? He does not have internet in his flat so hooks the phone to his laptop (there is a word for it...nah, gone!) Oh! Is it "tethering"? I don't know if that is AS good as regular wi fi? I think he said he got about 20 meg.

I could accept the occasional freeze, Watsapp doe the same but every 20-30 seconds? Makes exposition quite a trial!

Re "Win 10" I have read there is a known issue and there is a Registry hack, not going there! I have installed Skype on my W7HP i3 lappy will test that later.

Thanks again all, none of this is desperately important.

Dave.

I think I have muddled minds about son's 'phone'? He does not have internet in his flat so hooks the phone to his laptop (there is a word for it...nah, gone!) Oh! Is it "tethering"? I don't know if that is AS good as regular wi fi? I think he said he got about 20 meg.

It can be. Depends on a few things.
Just make sure he's doing his speed test at the device that's making the call, rather than on the phone, then.

Simplest way to prove who has the issue is to call someone else and have him do the same.
You're right - The odd skip here and there is often to be expected but regular 10 second dropouts is no good.

Headset I like is the Logitech USB headset. You can swing the mic out of the way, headphones are pretty small and lightweight. They are about 20ish US. Not too expensive and they work really well. Clear hearing and mic does a really good job. Not for listening to music with as they are mainly for speech.

With regards to the Skype, there are two way bandwidth points, yours and the other person. I usually don't have problems and my speed is about 20/3. Like Gecko stated, lots of "stuff in between connection.

Also, most cable connections actually share connections with their neighbors like a large network. If many people are at home in your neighborhood and on the net, that could give you performance issues. With many people working from home these days, that could be a reason for the less than perfect conferencing experience.

I have the H340 'Logi' headset DM. They work fine, setup in W10 and W7 no problem and I get a good level from the mic. They are however very 'bassy' and lacking in treble. Now, I admit I am deaf and deaf for HF at that but my AKG K92s are much clearer then the Logis. (yes, ok twice the price but*)

*Every other 'king headphone/headset on sale touts "Killer Bass"... EFF OFF! Ok for the gamers and those that have the time to sit and watch blockbuster action movies but for HEARING WTF people are saying we need at least a FLAT response! I do NOT recommend these cans unless you have 20-20 lugs.

Dave.

Back