Thread: Headphones for over bubbling with out foldback

Thanks

Headphones for over bubbling with out foldback

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and woudl love some advice abotu head phones.

What I am doing:
    I am recording my self singing over the top of a backing track.
    I play the backing track though a headphones, record my voics on a Zoom H2n and use a 'beep marker' in the track to line the track up afterwards.

The problem
    My headphones are beyerdynamic DT 770s which are great for mixing but when im recording, they isolate too much so it is hard to hear my self properly when singing.
    At the moment I am making to by haveing one cup on my ear and one cup off...

my questions
    I am thinking the answer might be to get a set of head phones that are less isolating and don't block so much ambient noise... Is this a good idea and if so, what woudl people recommenced in a mid budget price point?

Many thanks for any help given

Tim

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Trouble is Tim that 'leaky' headphones will spill into the mic and cause low grade spill on the vocals.

I am not familiar with the H2n but suspect it is not the tool for the job. A conventional Audio Interface you see would allow you to balance your voice back into the headphones along with the backing.

Dave.

Thanks
    I agree that the H2n is probably not the best tool for the job. I also think that Tim's process is sub-optimal. However, though lo-tech, it can still get the job done, and the benefit is that it doesn't require that quantum leap into interfaces, computers, DAWs and onwards.

I agree that 'leaky' (e.g. open-back) headphones can result in spill, and the vocal track will also include whatever leaks out of the headphones. But I expect that spill will not be enough to mess up the recording.

However, I think that Tim's interim solution, i.e. lifting one cup partway off the ear is probably already the easiest way of being able to hear himself.

So I would recommend Tim not doing anything different unless he is ready to make the jump.

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with gekko. It has long been a well tried, well tested, well accepted way of hearing oneself sing while wearing headphones. Professional singers in a vast array of settings have done it for more than half a century, home recorders do it all the time. Even grimtraveller does it !
    For timjam, if you're worried about a little spill, turn the volume as low as you can get it while still hearing the backing track enough to be able to sing to it. On the cup that's off your ear, just put a cloth or piece of hard material over it {held with a rubber band} for near maximum isolation.
    In your specific case, I wouldn't be particularly worried about any spill on the vocal track as it's music. What I'd be worried about would be a click track sound.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice - I had no idea the 'one on one off' Technic was an official thing!

I'm not getting and spill and the quality and even if I was, that wouldn't be the limiting factor on the quality of my recordings I assure you.

So I will just keep doing what im dong and maby save up for a proper vocal mic.

Tim

Thread Information