Hardware trouble

Moonbeam_

Hi guys

I have been a singer for a number of years and am now looking to start up a youtube channel!

I may have some more investments to make but the basic stuff is there. I have a Shure SM58 mic for now, but might get a condensor one soon. And I use the Tascam US122 interface.

I have been playing around with Adobe Audition a lot and I really like to software.

However, every now and then I keep having audio problems. Everything seems to be set up correctly in the program. It's just that I don't hear sound through my headphones (also no input from the mic). Today Adobe is also not picking up any sound from my mic at all, like it doesn't recognize the signal (sigh)...

I know it's probably something really simple and stupid that I keep on not doing right (lol) but I have no clue what it is and it really frustrates me.
Could someone try and help me (possibly over skype?) to see what I do wrong and get this sorted one and for all?

I would appreciate it a lot :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Moon

Hi there,
If you lose all input and output it's possible that Adobe Audition is defaulting to your computer's built-in audio for some reason.
Protools will certainly do that to me if my interface isn't plugged in and I launch PT, but I don't think it's smart enough to default back to my preferred interface the next time around.

Is there a menu option where you can choose your interface? Take a look there, next time it happens.

If your headphones are plugged into the interface which is getting power from the USB connection properly, with the channel switch set to mic, then you should be able to see the signal light and even turn the gain up until the clip light is on. If it's not doing that, then you may have a bad USB cable which is not delivering power to the interface, or the mic cable is faulty. If the lights are on, as suggested, make sure the interface is the system audio input and output device and that it's the one being used by Adobe Audition.

Hi Moon, What version of AA do you have and are you running W7?
I have AA 1.5 on 7 and it is a bit flaky. It was fine on XP. Try the "default" Audacity, if that gives problems it might be the 144? Getting on a bit you know! I had one for a wee while but found the mic pres low gain and noisy for dynamics.

Try Audacity but it might be time to waggle the Flexible Friend at a new AI?

Dave.

Thanks everybody for replying.

Steenamaroo: My Tascam interface is indeed the input and output. This seems to be completely set up correctly. I check it every time before I start, and it looks fine.

keith.rogers: I will check sometime soon, but the problem very inconsistent; so I doubt the problem lays in the USB cable. I will pay attention next time though.

ecc83: I am using Windows 10 and Adobe Audition CS 5. I've used Audacity before, but I find Adobe Audition a lot more user friendly, even though it is so much broader.

I have the feeling I just need to flick a switch either on the Interface or in the software and it's solved lol... Just haven't figured out where or what it is. I need someone to train me on the basics of this stuff, I admit I'm missing a lot of basic knowledge.

AFAICT there is no W10 driver for the 122? That could be the root of the problem.

My mention of Audacity was just because it IS so basic (yes, I know! Not really) and is a good benchmark to test out a setup.

Dave.

...: I will check sometime soon, but the problem very inconsistent; so I doubt the problem lays in the USB cable. I will pay attention next time though.
Never hurts to try a different cable or even a different port on the computer. Don't go through a hub!

Back