Guidance needed on home 'studio' - invest more or hire studio space + mixer?

What route to take?

• Don't invest any more into studio equipment, save money for hiring space+people

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Invest more in equipment for demos up to scratch, but ultimately hire for to studio space/mix

• Invest more in equipment to record myself, but get someone to mix & master the end product

• Invest more in equipment, and do it all yourself

• Don't invest any more, you're good with what you have and do it yourself

• Total voters

frenchdogblue

Hi,

I could really use some guidance on what direction I should take with my home studio (invest more into it, or save the to money to hire professionals). Sorry for a bit of an essay...

I am a songwriter, and sing + play guitar. My end objective with this is to get decent sounding demos which I can put on Youtube and Spotify. I see mixing and recording myself as a means to an end to bring my ideas to life. Style of music is basically indie rock. I enjoy the music I've recorded and attempted to mix so far, but I don't think it sounds anywhere near professional (I also am not clearly able to articulate why). I also find it quite hard to listen to it and separate myself from just having gone through the song writing process with those sounds (I arrange in Logic)

I am aware my skills mixing and recording are the main limiting factor, but also I want to know if I can get 'quick wins' through upgrading my equipment vs hiring out studio space and people to mix/master.

A few things:
- Appreciate standards are subjective and you don't know my skill level. My skills are currently not high when it comes to mixing or recording, but I do understand (I think) most of the fundamentals (i.e. what an EQ, compression does, that mic placement etc is important). I've been playing guitar nearly all my life so not too naive musically. My standards are probably quite low - I don't mind a low-fi indie sound, but I can also tell when something sounds completely home-made
- I live in a one-bed flat in London with my girlfriend, and my 'studio' is a small desk in the bedroom. Audio treatment of the room is NOT currently an option. I have therefore bought an Aston Halo Reflection Filter for vocals (purchased yesterday), and I record guitar direct into the interface (hope to have dedicated room in 1yr).
- Also don't have space for studio monitors or a bass. Currently using pitch shift and bass amp sim, and can borrow a friend's bass to record.
- For drums (on demos at least) I intend to use a friend who has a top of the range Roland electronic drum kit, and send him logic files.
- My budget left this year is £600-700, probably £1-2k next year (all in, including any studio time etc)
- I work long hours - need a solution that allows minimal messing around with gear, maximises time for creative process, and allows me to get good sounding recordings as quickly as is possible

My current set-up:
- MacBook Pro 2017
- Logic Pro
- AKG K701 Headphones
- Focusrite 2i2
- Rode NTK mic (recently purchased, arriving tomo)
- Aston Halo Reflection Filter (recently purchased, arriving tomo)
- Audio Technica AT2020 (been my mic for last 5 years)
- Arturia MicroFreak synth (I have no idea how to use it, intend to learn and also set it up for MIDI control)
- Guild Starfire V electric and Auden Chester acoustic

I'd be very interested in the path people think I should take with home studio vs studio time and paying people to help.

In terms of investing more in home studio I'm interested in a few things. Goal with all of these is what's the best way to a more professional sound:
- Should I get an Apollo Twin and UAD plug-ins -> the idea of tracking with them quite appeals to me as it feels like could enhance creative process. Very expensive though.
- If not Apollo, another upgrade on audio interface? Clarret, SSL, Audient iD22?
- Should I get a pre-amp - friend can sell me a golden age 73 for £150
- Should I get a DI box?
- Should I buy other plug-ins beyond stock Logic plug-ins ?
- Should I invest in pedals instead of using an Apollo Twin and tracking plugins live?
- Anything else that's important that I've not mentioned?

Also interested if anyone has perspectives on renting studio space, and paying people to mix and master music

No monitors and no current acoustic treatment? The reflection filter may do some help with vocals, but not likely to make much of a difference when recording instruments. Upgrading equipment with no good space to use it a waste of money, IMO. Unless you know you will be moving to a better space sometime in the near future where you can make better use of it. You can't even make/purchase a few bass traps (2'x4'x4") that you can move around when tracking, and put away in a closet when not in use?

The 2i2 does nor have MIDI capability - I did not look up your synth to see if it has USB connectivity.

You may want to try posting your mixes in the MP3 Clinic section of these forums - but you'll need to participate in order to get many responses.

I think you have everything you need without finding a way to set up a good space where you can easily and quickly record with good results. it should not mean you have to rent a space if you have a room you can call your own and leave some equipment out, and maybe set up some "treatment" to keep the sound of the room from intruding too much.

Skip the GAP preamp. I have one, and use it, but only because it's there. I've rarely found it added anything I couldn't do with the stock Logic compressors. If you are tracking one thing at a time, you don't need a DI box, either. Just plug into the input and set the switch to INST.

If you are doing serious electric guitar work, then maybe a good modeler (Helix, et al) might make life easier, but if it's just rhythm, the amp sims in Logic are fine (IMO). Get a simple amp pedal (Joyo American) if you have too much latency for tracking, and record both dry/wet. (Then a DI can be useful). Otherwise, you've got plenty of gear, and good mics.

I'd probably get some closed-back headphones for tracking and get some room treatment and figure out how to keep your mics and interface plugged in and ready to record. Record a lot, work with your drummer friend, and post mixes for feedback.

Acoustic treatment should be your priority. If not possible, and your creative process allows it, go to a studio.

"I'd be very interested in the path people think I should take with home studio vs studio time and paying people to help."

That ^ I think is the nub of this thread. IMHO you should look upon you home setup as a practice period (you are stuck there for another month now anyway). Hone YOUR vocal and guitar skills. Get a few songs under your belt that you can sing and play faultlessly and then book time at a studio.

Do not however wait too long before going to a professional, look upon it as an iterative process...Learn 6 say songs (time them to the second) go to a studio with eyes ears and nose wide open, then take what you have learned back to the flat and see if you can apply it. Probably not a lot in you present circumstances but you will at least have some reference tracks for when you can expand.

My son is in France and doing similar in that he is working hard on classical pieces on guitar, mainly JSBach and he hopes, post lock down to be able to perform to audiences. Good idea methinks? Might be a long time before singers can perform in public but a classical guitarist (with some jazz thrown in!) in a mask could be in demand?

Oh yes, a MIDI AI would make more sense to me as well.

Dave.

Many thanks for replies, much appreciated. Seems like consensus on room treatment - unfortunately not a lot I can do with this at the moment. Is this more about being able to record vocals well or mix well, or both equally?

I have seen that there are some quite small monitors (K Multimedia iLoud Micro) available that would work for my space, do you think these are worthwhile without room treatment?

I do quite a lot of lead guitar, and perhaps an advantage of focusing on this is it's not as dependent on the room as it's recorded direct. I do a mix of stuff with a blues, jazz and rock feels so I think an upgrade to amp-plugins would be worthwhile. Will check out Helix - seems like a combo of plug-in and hardware? Any view on if UA amp plugins are worth it?

Closed back headphones are a good shout as there is bleed with current open backs and seems like I can get a good pair for around £60 (no need to care too much about quality right as they'd just be for tracking?), so a bit of a no brainer actually.

Btw, my synth can connect to laptop via USB and act as MIDI controller. Any other reason I'd want AI with MIDI especially?

The iLouds are perhaps one of the few monitors that could work in that room and yes, for electric guitar the room will not be as bad as it is the LF end that is screwed. Guitar goes down to 80Hz but that is mostly harmonics with a lekky axe. You will need the speakers very close and DO invest in a $20 'C' weighted SPL meter and calibrate them!

"In The Room" recording such as voices can be tamed with the duvet 'tent' which can be rigged and struck in 30 minutes.

No, you don't need MIDI ports on the AI with a USB controller just that you would not be able to connect any 'legacy' MIDI kit and there is a lot of old stuff about. (unless of course the controller has a MIDI DIN INput? Rare as rocking horse ***t tho'but.)

Yes, 'tracking' cans need not be super fi, just have good isolation but pay as much as you can for good stuff. Longevity is worth a look? Things like detachable cables and spare earcups.
Dave.

Back