Greetings, from planet OMG

TheColdWarKid

Oh, first, I'm not on OMG right now. Just trying to find my way into the matrix of techno-wonderland. And such is life, yes?

Before me sit two, lightning-fast computers; one, my internet and mess-around machine, acts as a radio. The other records what the internet machine sends, when I want it to. That, folks, is where I'm at and I haven't even got that much working as I would like it to. A good place to do some planning, one might assume. And so this message :)

My plan is to create something I can actually use as a NLE workstation and audio... everything. I want to create it "open architecture" so I can add whatever i need, later. I've been to Orion Platinum land. I don't do a lot of that now, but who knows? I might be interested in doing pro mix-downs for local bands. Who knows where the audio side will go?

For now, it's clear the software on these machines and the idiotic things it does renders them useless, for any other task than directing one channel of sound bitstream into one output and, amazingly, inactivating all other outputs as it does so. These computers do not understand the word AND.

My need is for an audio connection on the back side of the idiotic "mixer" software that rains on my parade, 12/7/365. I need to get the audio straight from it's source.

My current plan is to get a device that "pulls" an audio USB connection from the computer and can co-exist with a sound card. The device should make what is going on in the USB audio channel available at it's outputs, which are always on. The outputs might be analog (RCA) SPDF-coaxial and SPDF-optical.

This SEEMS to be what I need? apos.audio/products/gustard-u16-usb-digital-interface

My sound card will then power my computer speakers all the time, regardless of the mindless decisions made by the "mixer" software. Now, when I send the audio bitstream to the other computer via the SPDIF-optical link my speakers shut off - no way to stop it. Brainless? I GUESS!

Or maybe a program that gives ME control of the audio assets on these machines... where I could check a box and enable SPDIF output all the time, for example. Set that box, one for the speakers and my woes are gone! But I guess we humans are not supposed to be smart enough to do stuff like that...

Anybody like to chime in right here, please do. This must be about the first step everyone takes, on their way to their personal audio powerhouse computer?

Any help appreciated?

Can you write that in English?

There are many apps that will let you record anything playing through your computer's soundcard directly on that computer (I used to use Roxio, but my old version would not work with Win 10). The way you are trying to do it, you are converting digital to audio and then back to digital.

Nope. Sorry. I don't write in English. I'm American and lately, considering keeping it a secret.

I did manage to find a prog that will record on the same computer - sometimes. It works on my web machine, but not the other. Audacity.

So I am able to do what I need to do, for now. I can record, transfer to thumb drive, then to main computer... size of the files and use of thumb drives indicates a wait :) I'm much more into "instant gratification."

Still, I desperately need a replacement for the windows joke audio manager. 'Cause the joke, in on me :(

Back