getting some sort of echo from my mic, can anyone help?

bhtrix

I bought a blue yeti for streaming - to my surprise after thinking the mic worked great I discovered quit a nasty reverberation I would call it

tried recording without my speakers on etc
it persists and I have no idea what is causing it.

the room maybe?

audio sample here
drive.google.com/file/d/1gxkgaO8Xh90nUH0fRqdDVqYLJhTWKt71/view?usp=sharing

Sounds like room reflections to me. A condensor mic is sensitive and will pick up reflections from any close surface - walls, desk, etc.

Sounds like room reflections to me. A condensor mic is sensitive and will pick up reflections from any close surface - walls, desk, etc.
thank you for your reply!

What are my options? Would a windscreen reduce it?
I hung a tapestry against the wall but that does not seem to be nearly enough.

Agreed, that sounds like an echoey room.
I guess there's not much in it?

Unfortunately anything light isn't going to help much. You need mass.
You can get one of those shields which go on the stand but that's probably not ideal for streaming.

Rockwool panels are ideal but, again, not always practical. In a home studio furniture, books, clutter helps.
Failing that a headset mic might be a better job but that depends on how close you were when you did your test clip. How close were you to the mic?

The closer you are to the microphone, the louder you are relative to reflections.

I would guess likely reflections. But could also be latency with your input and input to computer as well.

Before I recommend a dynamic mic, please elaborate thoroughly on your input stage to computer, a sample of what your audio sounds like, what software you are using and maybe a pic of the room.

There can be many issues that can be addressed. Can't guess without knowing everything. Well, we don't need pix of you looking cool or anything creepy. :)

Ah shizzle, I missed the link... Hold on.

Nope, can't get the link to open.

Got it.

I agree that just sounds like room modes and reflections in an untreated room.

Just sounds like the room to me.

I'd suggest real (i.e., not foam) acoustic panels around you, and possibly above. And if the mic is sitting on a desk stand, I'd put it into a suspension mount or at least isolate it well.

You can, of course, use other heavy materials, like moving pad thickness at least. Simply filling the room can help, e.g. (a lot of) stuffed furniture, bookcases (with books!), a rug, and a couple nice heavy (preferably antique ;)) quilts for the walls, etc.

thanks a lot guys - i have indeed noticed that when I move away from the walls the echo? dissipates, so I guess I'm moving my desk :p
on the other side of the room are some curtains and a glass wall, perhaps that'll do better, and else I can just sit in the middle of the room xD

I actually think the other side of my room is perfect - i have a wall with glass in frames in there i can hang carpets there - and it'll be carpet - 2 cm of air - glass.
and on my left hand side are curtains. thanks for teaching me some stuff guys.

The further you are from the surfaces that are reflecting, the less energy will be reflected back. You may find that it's better to have the padded wall behind you vs in front - it really depends on how effective the carpet is, and what other surfaces may be contributing.

Keep in mind that because of the mic's cardioid pattern, what it picks up the most is coming at it from the same direction as your voice - not from behind it.

Back