Getting into music ;s

girlintheworld

Hi awesome people! :o

I'm just getting into music, and I think Logic is a really cool program - but is it the best? Can you recommend a good starter music software? :listeningmusic:

I was also wondering if you guys can recommend a good Microphone that is affordable to normal human beings :o and I'm planning to use autotune (I really like the sound) is there a free type of autotune, as i think antares will be too expensive if i also have to pay for a microphone :rolleyes:

What else is good to know for a beginner?

Hi and welcome!

Ok....we need more info in order to help you properly and accurately. What do you do? Are you going to be singing.......playing and instrument.....recording just yourself.....recording others? Give us a better sense of what your overall goal is and what kind of "projects" you want to do. Do you already have anything you might need........PC......audio interface.......mic stand.......cables.......speakers.......headphones......etc....etc. You get the idea.

As for your music "program".......there are many..........but....you haven't mentioned your budget goals for all of this stuff........so.......what's your budget?

Thanks for the swift reply Mick :* I want to be singing and maybe adding some ukulele if I can :o
I make drum patterns in Logic and yeah add my vocal to that but i use the microphone in my macbook and i think its not sounding so great
my budget is 200, max 300 usd

Are you a song writer? that is so cool, is that your job? can i hear your music somewhere? :)

You need to consider buying an audio interface, and then to start, a modest priced mic. You say its not sounding good, so are you using speakers or decent headphones? I've not come across a free good autotune (which if I read this right you want to use as an effect? not for fixing your singing?) However doesn't Logic come with an autotune - I have Cubase and that does.

Thanks!! yeah it does have an autotune, yeah I want that cool digital sound :cool:

and do you mean a soundcard like focusrite or something? I was looking at Audio-Technica AT2020 ? would that be a good idea?

Sound a fair match to me - the 2020 is quite bright, and many people use them with a Scarlett interface. A great starting point. Remember that autotune really is the kind of effect that needs a lot of care and attention to make do what you want - I'd suggest that as a beginner, you need to sort out the recording side first before getting carried away or results will be patchy. So that is the mic sorted out. What about the tracks?

If you are using Logic you may as well stick with it, but Reaper is a good alternative and also has an auto-tune plugin.

As others have said, the main ingredients for recording are mike, interface and monitors.

My voice is pretty bright, so maybe its not the best idea? you make it sound like its too much :o okay interface/soundcard i need that for the mic? hmm thats more money then :(
I cant help getting carried away, but i have an experimental and artist workflow I'm just having fun with it ^_^ What is tracks? :o the instrumental? Come to think of it, I don't think i will change from Logic, I kinda know it, and learning a new one right now would be too much :s

Welcome , I hope this is the start of a long and satisfying trip for you. You really need an interface to start with no matter what mic you end up with. Some mic's will need power to operate and the interfaces usually have phantom power for that purpose. The sound card in the interface is normally way better than most pc's can provide. you'll have outputs for your speakers , headphones , and pre amps for your mic's and instruments. If you shop around you can also find most of them will also come with free recording software. Christmas is coming up .... Later ... mark

As others said, a decent mic, interface, and monitors are your starting point. The important thing is to start modestly and learn to use the gear you have to its fullest as you develop a solid workflow that makes sense to you and the music you want to create. Once your workflow is solid, it will be easier to see where a particular piece of gear could help save time or improve your results, sonically. Over time, you can always enhance the tools you use, but have a really good reason to purchase a new toy and don't go into debt to acquire it. Good luck and rock on!

My voice is pretty bright, so maybe its not the best idea? you make it sound like its too much :o okay interface/soundcard i need that for the mic? hmm thats more money then :(
I cant help getting carried away, but i have an experimental and artist workflow I'm just having fun with it ^_^ What is tracks? :o the instrumental? Come to think of it, I don't think i will change from Logic, I kinda know it, and learning a new one right now would be too much :s

shure 58 affordable and covers all from vocals to guitars

Girl....You ask "What else is good to know for a beginner?"

Save some money up would be my advice. As others have said, THE basic way to make good recordings is..Buy a decent interface (and the F'rite 2i4 would be my bottom line but look at Tascams and especially Native Instruments KA6) Yes, up to $200 US but you really need that solid, dependable sort of electronics.

The microphone is almost incidental. The SM58 is fine for close vocals but uke? Might struggle to get a good level. I favour Small Diaphragm Capacitors as good, all round mics but it has to be said, no mic does everything well or suits every voice. You also need to acoustically treat your recording space but this can be done quite cheaply with duvets, blankets etc. You will find "how tos" all over HR and other places.

Next you need a way to hear your results accurately. Even 1/2 decent monitor speakers are way out of your present budget but good quality headphones can be used with some limitations. Again don't go cheap, around $100 is really the starting point.

Dave.

Thanks!! yeah it does have an autotune, yeah I want that cool digital sound

You might care for effects like the vocoders. They give a early singer something to hide behind. The vocoder strips the vocal of its tone and pitch information and replaces it with keyboard. Like an autotune only better. The effect happens live in real time.

The sampler like Roland Vp9000 or Korg you record your vocal line as a sample . Then you play your prerecorded voice using a keyboard to replace the characteristics.

Versions of these are included in most DAWs and are accessed with a simple midi controller. Controllers an be cheap, the DAW can be free.

Back