Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back Into Recording: What USB Audio Interface/Computer Do You Recommend?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I am touched by your concern mate but I sought out a shockproof model
    Yeah, you'll still pay a pair bit for large SSDs but seriously, I'd get him (to get) at least one backup that doesn't physically move.
    Shockproof is great until you drop it, or even rotate it slightly when it's on.

I think the killer is picking it up straight after unplugging, but that's only speculation.

Ever held a bike wheel by the axle and rotated it even the slightest bit while it's spinning?
    If you haven't, don't! haha.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Yeah, you'll still pay a pair bit for large SSDs but seriously, I'd get him (to get) at least one backup that doesn't physically move.
    Shockproof is great until you drop it, or even rotate it slightly when it's on.

I think the killer is picking it up straight after unplugging, but that's only speculation.

Ever held a bike wheel by the axle and rotated it even the slightest bit while it's spinning?
    If you haven't, don't! haha.
    You are speaking of the conservation of angular momentum? Yeah, I had gyroscopes when I was a kid! I think you are either most unlucky Mr S or the clumsiest bugger on the planet! In some 15 years using laptops NONE with an SSD, I have never had a problem and this i3 HP g6 has had more bumps than Lulu.

I HAVE had two standard sized ext spinners fail. One I know was dropped. Tried the freezer trick. Worked! Gave us about a 10 minute window to grab some songs off it. The other one just failed, no idea why and nothing would make it work again.
    I then invested in a 1TB NAS drive that sits on the floor (can't fall see?) behind my chair in the living room and plugs into a GBYTE switch connected to my router. Very reliable but slow.

Dave.

Thanks
    I think you are either most unlucky Mr S or the clumsiest bugger on the planet!
    My last drive failure was more than ten years ago but I do a fair bit of recovery/repair for people. That's what I was referring to before.
    Hey, take it or leave it. I'm just saying a spinning disk in a portable caddy as a main backup is inviting trouble.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    You misunderstand. My last drive failure was more than ten years ago but I do a fair bit of recovery/repair for people.
    Hey, take it or leave it. I'm just saying a spinning disk in a portable caddy as a main backup is inviting trouble.
    Ah! Maybe you just see the worst cases? I was fixing electronics for decades and you can get your general impressions of gear a bit skewed (mind you, EVERY Amstrad satellite tuner DID fail eventually. How'ed that MFr ever get a gong?!).

And I am pleased to take you advice on computing ALWAYS!

Dave.

Thanks
    I was fixing electronics for decades and you can get your general impressions of gear a bit skewed
    That must be it.

Thanks
    A great interface bang for the buck is the MOTU 828mkIII... 8 balanced low Z inputs as well as 2 ADAT light pipe inputs to add up to 16 more channels giving you 24 tracks of input and actually a total of 26 counting the SPDIF input... i have one and it works great on my PC with 3.2 quad core processor and 8 gigs ramm using WINDOWS 7 PRO... and i am still using SONAR 8.5 Producer...it still works well and the only "outside" VST added is Eventide's Ultra Channel...however i will eventually need to get a new DAW ...still deciding between Presonus Studio One 4, Cubase, or Digital Performer... thought about Reaper, but i sell some of my songs online so paying 60.00 for it can't happen...BUT CONSIDER MOTU...you wont be sorry

Thanks
    NOT getting into the Dell ding-dong, don't know FA about that.

IMHO do not buy a computer these days with a mechanical hard drive, some folks even suggest an SSD is almost mandatory for Win 10?
    Last year I bought my son a refurbed Lenovo T430. i5, top end chip, 240G SSD, 8G ram. Now 240G is not a lot for a music computer so I also got him a USB 3.0 "rugged" 1TB external drive. That is a wee laptop spinner in a case but is just used for storage to keep the SSD nifty. If the small screen bothers you, look in charity shops for an FSTV. Bought a super 22" Bush for 40 from Scope. Oh! The son's PC was under 400 so be about $400 US coz we get ripped.

Yes, if portability is not required you can get a bigger bang per buck with a desktop and they are easily expandable, second, third HDD, memory, USB 3.0 PCIe card. Beware though, a basic "office" desktop might be noisy, but there are fixes for that.

Not a fan of the Solo. Mainly because I think music peeps will soon get frustrated with just one mic input but also they are at the whale ***t end of AIs in terms of facilities. There are some superb AIs now in the $150-$200 area from Steinberg, Tascam NI and yes, F'rite.

Monitors? Don't bother IMHO until you can drop some serious coin AND know a lot more. Get the best headphones you can afford, open back types are best but also check your work on a hi fi rig, car, beat box...

Dave.
    depends what you want

the SSDs do not last that long
    maybe they have improved some
    or maybe not if its just marketing hype

i still feel better with a real hard drive
    plus i have outboard usb drives to back up data and clone the boot disk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin6string View Post
    .. thought about Reaper, but i sell some of my songs online so paying 60.00 for it can't happen...BUT CONSIDER MOTU...you wont be sorry
    Kevin,
    That shouldn't be an issue. Per Cuckos' license agreement,

You may use the discounted license if:

You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or
    You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or
    You are an educational or non-profit organization.

Unless you are selling a lot of songs online, you're probably in the clear with Reaper.

If I was selling $20,000 a year, I wouldn't be sitting in my basement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    Kevin,
    That shouldn't be an issue. Per Cuckos' license agreement,

You may use the discounted license if:

You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or
    You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or
    You are an educational or non-profit organization.

Unless you are selling a lot of songs online, you're probably in the clear with Reaper.

If I was selling $20,000 a year, I wouldn't be sitting in my basement.
    at least its not your parents basement

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LAB624 View Post
    Hey everyone:

I am looking for a decent computer/laptop to start recording with again. I currently have Mixcraft 7 as a DAW and AmpliTube 3 for guitar/bass effects. I am on a budget and not looking to spend a large amount (preferably between $500-$1000 CAD), but I will invest in a cost-effective set-up that is worthwhile.

Additionally, I am looking to upgrade my USB audio interface. I am currently running a Focusrite Scarlett-Solo; just looking to see if there are any flagship ones out there that I should invest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading!
    none. go with firewire interfaces.

Thread Information