Get a Mac or keep what I have mixed with my PC?

ChadderCheeze

Next month I will have some cash in hand to finally obtain the rest of what I need to start recording on my own.

Here is my question: I own a PC that is only about 1 month old. I own a Zoom MRT-3 drum machine. I own a Fast Track Pro interface, and I own a nice condensor mic.

I have seen what Macs are capable of merely using the software that already comes with them (Garage Band). Heck, even the built-in mic sounds better than a lot of mics I've heard. The portability is also attractive.

I'm a newb when it comes to recording so I'm not sure if I should get a new Mac and mix it with everything I already have...or use my newer PC and get some nice software and any cords I may need.

My recording projects will mostly consist of all solo stuff; not band stuff, though when it's done it'll sound like one. I'm not a drummer so I'll have to make my own beats.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to try and help me out!

~Chad

Have you actually used the PC to record ? Would you use it specifically for recording if you used the PC ? Or the Mac, come to that ? I think you should do what you're itching to do.

Garage band is basic as hell...install Reaper onto your PC and get recording Chad...there is little to no difference between PCs and Macs, I own both, they are just different tools that do the same job....:)

a pc is every bit as capable as a mac, especially now that they run on basically the same hardware. If you have some extra cash, invest in your room and monitors.

a pc is every bit as capable as a mac, especially now that they run on basically the same hardware. If you have some extra cash, invest in your room and monitors.

It was the Mac that switched to the superior hardware used in the PC, not the opposite.

I own both. My band recorded it's first demos through GarageBand on my Macbook Pro. I own an iMac with Reaper and the computer we mainly use is a PC with reaper. As much as I love Mac, keeping the PC would be better in the longrun. If you ever wanted to change out harddrives, RAM, or add what my band now uses (Delta 1010L cards to multi-track record) you need a PC. A Mac just isn't built friendly enough to interchange parts and hardware that you might need down the road. Keep the PC but make upgrades as you see fit.

If your PC was older it may be a real decision. The fact is that the ultimate aim is to make music that sounds as great as you can get it. neither a mac or a pc is going to make the slightest bit of difference to the end product, hell and when you get into a DAW they dont look or work any differently. the fact is that you could buy some very very good gear be it softwear or hardwear for the price of. . lets face it a shinny bit of pressed metal. if you were very experienced and had completly out grown the capability of your pc, and were looking to set up a professional production company the answer would maybe be different

The iMac is superior

than what?

this?

ELITECORE.jpg

* Coolermaster™ Cosmos 1000 Quiet Tower Case
* Intel™ Core I7 950 2.93GHz Processor
* 3GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333MHz RAM
* Asus™ P6T Mainboard
* Dual Layer SATA DVD+- Writer (18 Speed)
* 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor
* 2 x 500GB SATA Audio Hard Drives (7200rpm, 16mb Cache) set to RAID 0
* Noctua™ NH-12 Pro 12cm Heatpipe Cooler
* Antec Truepower TP-550W Easy connect Quiet PSU
* Sapphire/Ati HD 4670 Dual Head Graphics Card (Silent Cooling)
* Windows 7 Home Premium Preinstalled and configured for music production

or this?

Atari%201040ST.jpg

I've said this before, hopefully not again, I like Mac's OS better for internet use, more secure, but for everything else the PC is the way to go. Sure you can pay Apple 100 bucks to teach you to use the thing, or read a PC's instructions. Most people I know that use Macs all the time have windows for mac installed, so that kinda defeats the purpose. The Mac is no more stable in my experience. Add to that the fact that most of the DAWs are designed for PC, it's really an easy decision.

This is a Mac lover's best argument right here. So what do you think?! Isn't it convincing?!

Really? I thought it would have been the thousands of recording studios that swear by them that would have made a better point. I guess if in the middle of recording a track you decide you need to update a pivot table inside of an Excel spreadsheet, then definitely, go with the PC.

Back