garageband/ipad/interface

Stefan A

Hi

I am a tuba player and I recently had the bright idea of using garageband on my ipad/iphone to record some quartets - myself on all 4 parts. I started very bare bones (only the iphone) just to learn the software and managed to make this happen. Of course it sounded awful, but I learned the basics of recording 4 separate parts while using headphones to monitor the music and line everything up. With tuba, even with the recording level on the lowest possible position, most of my notes are distorted. It so happens that I already own an Audio Technica AT-822 stereo mic. So I bought the Tascam iXZ interface so I could adjust recording level and use my mic. This interface plugs into the headphone jack and the unit has a headphone jack so I can monitor. The sound quality is much better - although there is more hiss (is this called signal to noise ratio?) than I would like. But my main issue is that the metronome is now heard in my recording. I keep this going while monitoring to make sure I am together. At first I thought that my mic was picking up the sound through the headphones. But after a bit more experimenting and research, I realize that this is a possible limitation with the type of interface I bought (connected to the headphone jack). Perhaps with all 4 parts going, it will be covered up, but I just don't like it. I figure with a better unit which uses the dock connector, this problem will go away. Plus that hiss may be lessened. I am looking for advice on an interface that is less than $150 - although maybe I could go a bit higher. This is just for fun. I know there are some interfaces designed for IOS, but that really limits me. Am I correct in assuming that any USB interface will work with the proper adapter? I notice that some of the interfaces have only a mono xlr input. Even with my stereo mic, does that mean the music will only come out of one speaker?

Thanks

Ok, so perhaps my questions are too newbie for even the newbie forum. I realize that the which interface question is getting old, but I could still use advise on the rest of my post.

Check this out:

iodock_io_web_med.jpg

https://www.alesis.com/iodock

It sells for $149.99 most places. It's the best interface I've seen for an iPad. Once you get a "proper" interface (one not going thru your headphone jack), I think a lot of your recording issues will go away.

Disclaimer: I don't use one of these. I'd like to get one (I've read lots of good reviews about them), but I've got an iPad3 which has a different adapter. I'm just waiting for Alesis to come out with an updated model, and I'll get one. If you're a studio snob (I admit that I totally am), this interface isn't going to give you the flexibility of an 18 input unit, but for an iPad, I think this is the best solution, plus it comes it at your price point.

One last thing, there are a number of new DAW's that are coming out for the iPad. I use Garageband to mess around with, but once you get a better interface, the next step I would recommend is to upgrade the software as well. I hope this helps... :listeningmusic:

Thanks - yeah, I have read about that one. The only thing is that I am hoping to find something for the iphone because my 4 year old takes over the ipad too often... I could just put my foot down :)

Stefan

I use the idock and its great for non mobile set ups...unfortunately its mains, if you can get a bus powered interface you still keep the ipads portability...otherwise its a great little set up

Back