Garageband Flextime Question

Late Gates

Im finishing up a project on Garageband before I dig into Reaper.

I understand how to use and make adjustments using Flextime. But for the first time, when I try to make adjustments on this current track - it CUTS the wave instead of lengthening or shortening it - I can't figure out how I changed the settings or what setting to adjust -

anyone have any ideas on why flextime is functioning this way?

thanks

In these days of the virus, I've been messing with Garage band. I recently got a project that was recorded in a DAW (BPM unknown). In GB, I can align/sync the GB click and BPM to around the first 16 measures, but the song seems to drift from the GB click. Is there a way to quantize a prerecorded track?

I admit I cannot find the Time Quantize setting for an imported track in the version I have installed. (Never tried it.)

Have you tried playing with fractional tempo settings to see if the drift is simply a slight variance from an integral BPM, e.g., enter 120.5? (Of course, if the original wasn't done to a click, it's not likely to ever align.)

P.S. [MENTION=203366]Late Gates[/MENTION], I did not see that first post. It sounds like GB switched from a polyphonic mode to a "slicing" mode - these are options in Logic Pro X, but I didn't see a way to manually switch modes in the version of GB I have.

I admit I cannot find the Time Quantize setting for an imported track in the version I have installed. (Never tried it.)

Have you tried playing with fractional tempo settings to see if the drift is simply a slight variance from an integral BPM, e.g., enter 120.5? (Of course, if the original wasn't done to a click, it's not likely to ever align.)

P.S. [MENTION=203366]Late Gates[/MENTION], I did not see that first post. It sounds like GB switched from a polyphonic mode to a "slicing" mode - these are options in Logic Pro X, but I didn't see a way to manually switch modes in the version of GB I have.

Thanks Keith. Just trying to help my grandson with GB. I was surprised that it is much like Logic. I thought that perhaps GB might be able to quantize his imported track.

I know nothing about GB, just want to say good to see you around these parts again, Chance. Hope you're doing well.

I know nothing about GB, just want to say good to see you around these parts again, Chance. Hope you're doing well.

Thanks. I lurk here from time to time. I usually post on only 1 forum on a daily basis. I also don't know much about GB, but heard somewhere that it could find the bpm of a track

... I also don't know much about GB, but heard somewhere that it could find the bpm of a track
Well, finding the BPM is different from quantizing, but I did figure out after reading some YT comments how to get to the Quantize function, if that's what you want to do.

Well, finding the BPM is different from quantizing,

This is true, but before I quantize, I need the exact BPM. We got it close at 75bpm, but it drifts after half the song. The track was supposed to have been recorded in a DAW with a click and is why I don't understand the drift. (click was not audible) We were hoping the quantize might correct that. This video is very helpful. Thank you

Logic Pro can assign BPM in the tempo track but even if recorded at a click you are unlikely to get a single tempo for the whole song. (I just did that earlier today with a song recorded at 110 and the tempo track was changing every couple of measures.)

It’s possible the click wasn’t followed well. Maybe try a fractional value around 75 and then quantize and see what value does less flexing?

Back