gaining volume from zoom r16 mixes

TRDECK

Hello,
I am fairly new to recording, and am having trouble getting volume to match other songs in my music library, or on the radio etc. on my Zoom R16
I have ran eq on tracks and mastering effects, used the normalizer etc. wondering if I am missing something, or is the zoom r16 just not apt at getting that finished "studio volume" ?
I have tried to search solutions, as to using the limiter in audacity, but that isn't working either.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 'studio sound' I remember being automatic. The equipment used was the sound. You could adjust the microphones placement, but it always sounded full and big. The Engineer even showed me just plugging into the desk with nothing. It was huge sounding.

If you are having trouble capturing the sound in the room. Fullness, etc. I would contact tech support. Get help . Look for setup issues or diagnostics on the USB or inputs.

I’m running direct(drum machine, guitar etc)into the Zoom r16, no mics, except for vocals.
The sound is great on the machine itself, especially after mastering, but when I convert to mp3 to play file on speakers or in the car, it just isn’t as loud as other music.

it just isn’t as loud as other music.

You have covered the setup and have faith its correct. Moving on.. What are the levels? The mains have a meter, and sometimes the render meter has a meter thats calibrated different. Look into that.

I found that youtube and Soundcloud have a level of -16 LUFs as a standard. Anymore and they turn it down automatically.

Say during recording you keep the peaks under -6 db on the meter. No clip. Then move to master the MP3 or Render it.

On mastering how much are you baking it up ? I bump the levels up where they need to be on the mastering stage as needed. Till I get -16 LUFs.

Watch some youtube videos on recording levels. This is what i have absorbed . Still working it out myself.

I suppose a DAW could bake by EQing it twice in a series..

The Zoom R16 is certainly able to get to the volume you want. Getting "louder" properly also has to do with many facets of your original tracks before "mastering". That could be part of your issue. There are several posts here that deal with the loudness issue. You mention that you're using the R16 mastering effects. I have an R16 and use it as an audio interface but have not recorded on it in quite some time.

I know the R16 manual is not very clear....especially for a beginner. There's multi-band compression and a normalizer along with a number of presets......though all of them can be adjusted. However....the mastering effects should not be the only way for you to raise the volume. Done incorrectly....you'll not like your sound results. I highly suggest that you spend a little time on YouTube. There's lots of good tutorial vids there and you'll learn more than the R16 manual will tell you.

Mick

How loud should it be on the meter as a master?

The radio ready masters for the WAV music I purchased goes all the way to the top of the meter in the DAW. Brick walled at -0.1.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 084626.jpg

Don't worry about volume while recording and mixing your song. Keep all your tracks well in the green on the meters. This means for input gain, inserts, faders, stereo bus, etc. While mixing, just turn the volume up on your speakers if you want it loud. Then, after it all sounds good to you, you can apply a mastering limiter to the stereo bus to increase overall volume to match what your hear on the radio.

Back