Focusrite Scarlett Solo XLR male to TS female adapter for input 1

mafaik

Hi, i'm very new to this forum :)

I just started to learn about home recording, and i've decided to buy scarlett solo. But i just realize maybe the best starter for me is scarlett 2i2. Because practically, i want to record 2 line instrument at the same time.

Can i use XLR male to TS female adapter for input 1, so i can record another line instrument from input 1? Is it dangerous or there are any problem later?

Thanks very much. Any answers are much appreciated

Last edited:
You need a DI box. It will step the line voltage down to mic level. You can probably find some cheap ones in the $20 - $30 USD range. Are you able to return the Solo and get the interface that better fits your needs?

You need a DI box. It will step the line voltage down to mic level. You can probably find some cheap ones in the $20

No he doesn't WTGR Mr Mod! https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

As you can see the 2i2 already HAS line and high Z inputs. A DI box is only needed when you need to get a passive guitar into a mic input, say a mixer.

But! If at all possible don't go for the 2i2. IMHO the Steinberg UR22 is better value for money and give you MIDI and Cubase.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the double post, something weird would not let me post the first one...Then it did!

Dave.

Meant to add...In general NEVER adapt FROM an XLR (mic) inout TO anything else. The XLR likely carries phantom power and tho' you will do the pre amp no harm you could well bugger whatever electronic gizmo you patch in.

There are (rarely now TG) mic pre amps and mixers which have "adapted" line inputs where they have no bothered to isolate the jack from spook juice (maybe tipping hat to that BIG myth about "DC signal path"??)

Just be aware.

Dave.

No he doesn't WTGR Mr Mod! https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

As you can see the 2i2 already HAS line and high Z inputs. A DI box is only needed when you need to get a passive guitar into a mic input, say a mixer.

But! If at all possible don't go for the 2i2. IMHO the Steinberg UR22 is better value for money and give you MIDI and Cubase.

Dave.

Still haven't figured out how to use the quote function yet?? I fixed it for you.

Please go back and read the title of the thread. Something about Focusrite Scarlett SOLO

And like we've discussed in the past. Most, if not all, midi controllers now come with a USB connection. The midi DIN connectors are good for those who want to daisy chain several midi devices together, BUT very very few people would want to, or would need to do that. The midi ports on interfaces are a nice option, but not necessary.

Still haven't figured out how to use the quote function yet?? I fixed it for you.

Please go back and read the title of the thread. Something about Focusrite Scarlett SOLO

And like we've discussed in the past. Most, if not all, midi controllers now come with a USB connection. The midi DIN connectors are good for those who want to daisy chain several midi devices together, BUT very very few people would want to, or would need to do that. The midi ports on interfaces are a nice option, but not necessary.

My apologies, the OP wants TWO line inputs so a DI box would solve that for the Solo.

I take your point about MIDI and won't rake all that up again except to say the UR22 gives you MIDI I/O for LESS than nothing compared to the 2i2.

Of course the NI KA6 would give him 2 dedicated line inputs plus mic pres plus MIDI and Cubase for only a little bit more dosh than the 2i2. (Well,GOT to get than in don't I? Heh!)

Dave.

My apologies, the OP wants TWO line inputs so a DI box would solve that for the Solo.

I take your point about MIDI and won't rake all that up again except to say the UR22 gives you MIDI I/O for LESS than nothing compared to the 2i2.

Of course the NI KA6 would give him 2 dedicated line inputs plus mic pres plus MIDI and Cubase for only a little bit more dosh than the 2i2. (Well,GOT to get than in don't I? Heh!)

Dave.

Of course, the OP would do better to return the Solo and get the 2i2 or KA6 or UR22, but he's probably a one-hit wonder and won't even be back to say thanks. But if he does, the best answer is get an interface with as many inputs as you need and not bother with a DI box.

Back