Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2

daddyorca

New to these forums so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Completely new to recording. I've been meaning to get into it as I write a lot of my own songs, I've just been looking for that interface to get. I looked at the Scarlett Solo in guitar center and it seems like a relatively good and low priced piece of equipment for recording, but naturally I have a few questions. First off..I'm awake that many 1st get Scarlett Models have a clipping issue. Supposedly this issue was resolved in the 2nd gen models but can anyone confirm? I don't know if the pads on the 2nd gen 2i4 would be better, although that costs $100 more than the solo which I don't mind too much but It doesn't feel like I need more than the solo
Also, the solo has a mic input as well as a guitar input. Can I have both plugged in to use simultaneously? Primarily, my goal with this is just to record guitar on reaper with some Amp sims. record bass Maybe record a friend on drums to help me out so that I can play some drums with my tracks, although can't I just find and use some drum track plugins or something like that? I plan on buying a good condenser mic to either mic up my amp, or record some acoustic guitar as well and I don't expect any clipping with that. The 2i2 seems nice but do I really need the extra input? If I'm going to invest more for the 2i2 I feel it would just be more useful to go for the 2i4 since it has pads. Overall, my main concern is really just the clipping and wondering if you guys think I can manage to record my own music. I'm not exactly trying to sound completely high quality pro. I just enjoy writing music and sharing it with fellow members of the community and friends. Would the Solo Suffice?

Can I have both plugged in to use simultaneously?

Yes . . . you can record both simultaneously. You would need to set your DAW to record two tracks, one recording vocal channel, the other to record the instrument.

Maybe record a friend on drums to help me out so that I can play some drums with my tracks

You could record a drum kit using just one mike. However, recording a kit is usualy done with more. Four is a workable number, and you would therefore need four mike inputs.

although can't I just find and use some drum track plugins or something like that?

Yes . . there are many drum plug-ins around that save you recording a kit.

Would the Solo Suffice?

It's a good starting point.

I can't help you with clipping issues.

Yes . . . you can record both simultaneously. You would need to set your DAW to record two tracks, one recording vocal channel, the other to record the instrument.

You could record a drum kit using just one mike. However, recording a kit is usualy done with more. Four is a workable number, and you would therefore need four mike inputs.

Yes . . there are many drum plug-ins around that save you recording a kit.

It's a good starting point.

I can't help you with clipping issues.

Thanks a lot for the response. For the most part it seems like the solo would serve me well. My only concern is still the clipping. I'd need to find people and ask or find a way to test it out. I've gone through reviews. Some people say the clipping problem has been resolved while others say it still clips. If I'm still unsure I might just go for the 2i4

Hi Dadds' and welcome to the forum. I personally consider the minimum features for an AI for useful music creation to be...
TWO mic inputs* and MIDI I/O. Pads can be useful but unlikely to be needed in a Home R situation (you can always turn the guitar DOWN you know!).

Focusrite have done a fantastic marketing job and yes, their interfaces are very good but not the only game in town. The Steinberg UR22 (fairly recently re-vamped as well) has excellent mic amps, MIDI and comes with a cut down version of Cubase. It also seems to have been a solid performer over the years, never read a bad word. The latest Tascams also get a good rep.

You don't seem all that cash trapped but if so look at the Alesis i02, really very good at under £70 here.

You also seem a bit concerned about "clipping"? Maybe you come from a tape recording background? If so forget spanking the Red zone! Digital signals need to average plonk in the middle of the meter scale. Technically at -18dBFS (Full Scale) and peak no higher than -6dB. This assumes recording at 24bits (44.1kHz). Noise levels will be set in part by the AI but mostly by external sources. -100dBFS is an average AI noise floor, many are much better.

*Most will also have "Combi" XLRs and can be line and high impedance guitar inputs as well.

Dave.

Hi Dadds' and welcome to the forum. I personally consider the minimum features for an AI for useful music creation to be...
TWO mic inputs* and MIDI I/O. Pads can be useful but unlikely to be needed in a Home R situation (you can always turn the guitar DOWN you know!).

Focusrite have done a fantastic marketing job and yes, their interfaces are very good but not the only game in town. The Steinberg UR22 (fairly recently re-vamped as well) has excellent mic amps, MIDI and comes with a cut down version of Cubase. It also seems to have been a solid performer over the years, never read a bad word. The latest Tascams also get a good rep.

You don't seem all that cash trapped but if so look at the Alesis i02, really very good at under £70 here.

You also seem a bit concerned about "clipping"? Maybe you come from a tape recording background? If so forget spanking the Red zone! Digital signals need to average plonk in the middle of the meter scale. Technically at -18dBFS (Full Scale) and peak no higher than -6dB. This assumes recording at 24bits (44.1kHz). Noise levels will be set in part by the AI but mostly by external sources. -100dBFS is an average AI noise floor, many are much better.

*Most will also have "Combi" XLRs and can be line and high impedance guitar inputs as well.

Dave.

Thanks! Hmm I see. If I'm going to need 2 mic inputs in the long run I may as well get it now because I've been writing for a while. Recording definitely isn't something I'm going to want to give up on. The 2i2 and 2i4 are one my mind now but I'll take a look at the other two that you mentioned! I'm not on a very strict budget but I'm not trying to spend a ton if I don't need to

I use the 1st gen 2i2 with various input sources (turntable, synths, drum machines, guitars and mic'd instruments) and the only time I've ever had a clipping problem has been through user error.

Back