Focusrite Clarett 2pre with Sennhesier HD 600

norbzy

Hi folks!
I am curious if the Scarlet Clarett pre2 can drive the sennheiser HD 600 cans, i have 2i2 but they dont seem to drive them as they r only usb powered, the focusrite technical support claims the clarett can handle cans up to 600 ohm, but still, does anyone have experience with this combination? Does it work well?

The HD 600s have a sensitivity of 102dB/V which is I would say a bit lower than the average but the interface spec' give the headphone output as +16dBu or about 5V rms so I would think those cans will be plenty loud enough...

But, with AIs it is often not the raw 'welly' that matters, it is often the amount of gain you have in the headphone amplifier path. With programme peaking to -6dBfs things are loud enough but when tracking at -20dBfs the level can be a bit weak, especially if there is competing noise.

BTW. "Bus powered" or fed from a rat is not really the issue. My NI KA6 is bus powered and yes, I could do with another 10dB of juice but my (old) 8i6 runs from a 24 watt line lump and is no better!

The Berry HA400 fixes it all for about a score.

Dave.

Like Dave (@ecc83) says, get a headphone amp. It will save time and frustration, plus give you the ability to have more than one set of cans plugged in, e.g., a closed back set for tracking, and maybe open/semi-open set for mixing, which also gives you a couple different outputs to test the mix on.

Back