Fl Studio midi piano keyboard help

"
Pianoteq is an award-winning virtual instrument which you can install on your computer (PC/Mac). It can be used both in standalone mode and as an instrument plug-in in VST, AAX, and AudioUnits hosts."

Dave.

Hi, I downloaded the trial versions of pianoteq and additive keys, I like the additive keys better I think, but I'm not for sure, I wanna spend more time with both of them, the additive keys works so much better then the fl studio ones

Yes! Progress. Do Additive Keys and Pianoteq play properly, like you expect in terms of responsiveness? If they do, then you know the Kawai's sending scaling is good, but the receive is the problem!

Good news.

Both of them for sure working so much better then fl studio, I can play quietly or loudly, I can actually play a song on the piano and it sounds good throught them, I'm not a 100% sure its reading all the way up to 127 thought, When I was doing the calibration with pianoteq, the hardest input I could get was like 84. So I gotta test more, but so far works so much better.

I got the cubase trial downloaded, I can only trial the elements version I guess, even thought on the website it says trial the cubase pro, but all links on the website lead to elements 30 day trial, I dont think elements has any kind of midi support yet from, looking at it from there website

I got the cubase trial downloaded, I can only trial the elements version I guess, even thought on the website it says trial the cubase pro, but all links on the website lead to elements 30 day trial, I dont think elements has any kind of midi support yet from, looking at it from there website

Last time I looked, while ago, you needed to buy a dongle to run Pro (fair enough I suppose for a month's "hire"). Elements SHOULD do MIDI!

I have El 6 on several PCs (have dongle, Cubase will travel) and I bought it years ago because the one before did not have Mackie Control.
I am sure a regular Cubaser here will help you qucker than I but if you are really stuck I will hunt up me dongle and have a look.

Compare the versions of Cubase | Steinberg

Dave.

Elements has perfectly wonderful MIDI support. I Have elements 9.5 on my MacBook - at first glance, it's so close to the full version I doubt people even notice. Asa you can see from the screenshot it has FULL MIDI features. You really worry me. Opening it up would have shown you exactly what it can do, and the MIDI menu will have things I doubt you will even understand yet. For what it is worth, Cubase was a 100% MIDI platform in the 90s, and what was added as it progressed was audio, which was NOT normal back then. The MIDI toolbox it had back then was really good, and it's got better and better since. Please - stop reading stuff you don't really understand and just start using the damn thing and make some music with it. The demo you have can be upgraded to the full version, or left at the lower level, or you can go to artist, as elements is oldish now. All the MIDI features you need are there, plus dozens you won't even need. Everyday I see things in newly found menu dropdown I have never seen before. As you can see, it can score too, but that will take you plenty of time to get to grips with. Right click on the column where tracks appear and it gives you a list of many different types of tracks you can create. The full version has even more, like VCAs etc. Folders, groups, instruments, midi and audio are normal, plus tempo and time signature if you wish.

This file comes from pro 10 - as you can see it loads fine, and if you look carefully in the right hand lower side you can see the only thing that happened was that it tried to use a sound from my studio computer that doesn't exist on the MacBook - a clarinet - just look for the !! in the box. Same thing happens if you try to load a song with dozens of tracks, it says it cannot - there are too many, and it will get cross with things like VCA tracks which elements cannot understand. Everything created on elements loads fine into the pro version.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 08.49.22.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 08.49.22.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Elements has perfectly wonderful MIDI support. I Have elements 9.5 on my MacBook - at first glance, it's so close to the full version I doubt people even notice. Asa you can see from the screenshot it has FULL MIDI features. You really worry me. Opening it up would have shown you exactly what it can do, and the MIDI menu will have things I doubt you will even understand yet. For what it is worth, Cubase was a 100% MIDI platform in the 90s, and what was added as it progressed was audio, which was NOT normal back then. The MIDI toolbox it had back then was really good, and it's got better and better since. Please - stop reading stuff you don't really understand and just start using the damn thing and make some music with it. The demo you have can be upgraded to the full version, or left at the lower level, or you can go to artist, as elements is oldish now. All the MIDI features you need are there, plus dozens you won't even need. Everyday I see things in newly found menu dropdown I have never seen before. As you can see, it can score too, but that will take you plenty of time to get to grips with. Right click on the column where tracks appear and it gives you a list of many different types of tracks you can create. The full version has even more, like VCAs etc. Folders, groups, instruments, midi and audio are normal, plus tempo and time signature if you wish.

This file comes from pro 10 - as you can see it loads fine, and if you look carefully in the right hand lower side you can see the only thing that happened was that it tried to use a sound from my studio computer that doesn't exist on the MacBook - a clarinet - just look for the !! in the box. Same thing happens if you try to load a song with dozens of tracks, it says it cannot - there are too many, and it will get cross with things like VCA tracks which elements cannot understand. Everything created on elements loads fine into the pro version.

Hi, yes I just got it installed this morning, The midi works awesome, I already like the program very easy to use, And the piano sounds awesome rite away, and additive keys ready to use inside cubase very cool! Im gonna try to learn everything asap lol
Some confusing things for me rite off the bat is trying to understand how mic works inside cubase, Like theres mono in 1 mono in 2, Input 1 input 2, all kinds of stuff, Ive just been clicking on stuff till it works lol

That's kind of ok but confusing. Remember that if you create an audio track, it asks if you want mono or stereo. If in the studio section you have two inputs activated, mono uses 1, and stereo uses 1 and 2. You can create individual mono inputs, or if you only ever record stereo, then have them as stereo tracks, Entirely up to you.

A few things to remember. Before you do any recording in a new project, save it into the folder you want, because it creates an audio folder and any real audio you record, gets stuck in there. If you start recording before saving, it creates a folder (if it doesn't exist) on your drive and the audio folder will be there. Saving the file later will not ,move all the audio you recorded. If you don't name the individual tracks, then it saves as audio_1.wav. Then the next one, audio_2.wav - and so on. If you have six projects, each with ten audio files, the audio folder will have 60 files in it, and finding the right one next month will be tricky! If you name the track saxophone, then it saves with saxophone.wav which is far more helpful.

That's kind of ok but confusing. Remember that if you create an audio track, it asks if you want mono or stereo. If in the studio section you have two inputs activated, mono uses 1, and stereo uses 1 and 2. You can create individual mono inputs, or if you only ever record stereo, then have them as stereo tracks, Entirely up to you.

A few things to remember. Before you do any recording in a new project, save it into the folder you want, because it creates an audio folder and any real audio you record, gets stuck in there. If you start recording before saving, it creates a folder (if it doesn't exist) on your drive and the audio folder will be there. Saving the file later will not ,move all the audio you recorded. If you don't name the individual tracks, then it saves as audio_1.wav. Then the next one, audio_2.wav - and so on. If you have six projects, each with ten audio files, the audio folder will have 60 files in it, and finding the right one next month will be tricky! If you name the track saxophone, then it saves with saxophone.wav which is far more helpful.
Okay, thankyou so much for your help:)
How do I post pictures in here? Maybe it's my phone not showing me anywhere to put a picture in

Last edited:
Oh i see, lol. Im loving cubase so far its awesome and the piano sounds perfect! thanks!! Do you think I should buy the elements version first or buy the artist? If I spend an hour a day to 2 with the program how long you think it will be till im ready for cubase pro 10?

Thankyou so much for all the help, glad I found this forum

Last edited:
Yep. My grandson spends ages in the studio when he comes to stay. He did actually reveal a small weak link on the Swissonic - the fader knobs are quite small and rough handling pings them off. He was trying to 'play' then quickly shove a fader and resume playing without spoiling 'the song' - and he popped them off quite easily. I've never done it, but I'm gentler. They go back on fine, but the low height of them means the fader tang only goes in a few millimetres.

Yep. My grandson spends ages in the studio when he comes to stay. He did actually reveal a small weak link on the Swissonic - the fader knobs are quite small and rough handling pings them off. He was trying to 'play' then quickly shove a fader and resume playing without spoiling 'the song' - and he popped them off quite easily. I've never done it, but I'm gentler. They go back on fine, but the low height of them means the fader tang only goes in a few millimetres.

At least they pop off and are replaceable. Breaking off wouldn't be any good. I'd guess they are like that on purpose, assuming there are a few 7 year old musicians out there.

Hi, I downloaded the trial versions of pianoteq and additive keys, I like the additive keys better I think, but I'm not for sure, I wanna spend more time with both of them, the additive keys works so much better then the fl studio ones

I've had addictive keys for several years and all of the piano sounds in that program sound fantastic. It also has different microphones and placements for them, to make it seem like you are moving them around the piano to get different sounds and transients. I really like the grand piano sound, but there are quite a few sounds and they are all editable to your liking. There are also reverb, echo, flanger, tremblo etc. there, too.

I saved the grand sound with a different name and set the sound an octave lower. No, I don't have an 88 key keyboard, but of course, midi does.

Oh i see, lol. Im loving cubase so far its awesome and the piano sounds perfect! thanks!! Do you think I should buy the elements version first or buy the artist? If I spend an hour a day to 2 with the program how long you think it will be till im ready for cubase pro 10?

Thankyou so much for all the help, glad I found this forum
I have an older version of Cubase and there are parts to it that I've never even attempted to use, and probably never will. I do wish I had the time to get more involved into it, but like most DAWs, it's doubtful that you will ever use every aspect of the program. And I think that is pretty common.

Like with the mixer in my version. It has write and learn so I could turn it into a digital mixer with self sliding faders, etc. I know there are more advanced versions than mine, so those who have something newer than version 5 are probably laughing, right now.

I also use it to play live, because I need mulitlple VSTs available at the same time. I have an orchestra VST software and several free VSTs, as well as addictive keys. In Cubase, I have 8 different instrument inputs, one addictive keys, three free VSTs for organ and poly synths and five of my orchestra VST. Each of these instruments have around 20 different VSTs at the ready, that I select with mouse or buttons on my keyboard.

Personally, I'm just looking for a smaller footprint than Cubase for this, but don't know if I'll find it. I don't have any sound drops or driver glitches, but I know I'm right on the edge of that. Playing live, I'd prefer to be sure I won't ever have any.
But, I digress. I'm glad you found something that fixes your velocity issue. I had one a few years back, and mine was internal to my keyboard. It's now fixed and everything sounds great. I hope you can say the same, now.

"Personally, I'm just looking for a smaller footprint than Cubase for this, but don't know if I'll find it. I don't have any sound drops or driver glitches, but I know I'm right on the edge of that. Playing live, I'd prefer to be sure I won't ever have any"

Just an observation from an old valve amp jockey Fingerz but, instead of ditching Cubase, which IS the Dogs for MIDI, why not look at the computer? Have you done all the optimizations? I assume it is a pretty dedicated laptop? I.e. you don't do your tax on it or let peeps play games on it? Make sure ram is 8G or over and remove any programs you don't need. I would suggest an SSD but I guess it has taken you a piece of work to get it "just so" and you don't want to mess with it? I trust you have the configuration imaged and backed up externally?

Dave.

Back