Fl Studio midi piano keyboard help

I'm looking at cubebase and. Because I bought fl studio I can switch from FL studio to cubebase for 339 instead of 559, it's like cross pricing or something

Last edited:
Well really because I have no idea what I'm doing lol
What would a audio interface with midi do for me?

Well, maybe nothing but having dropped nearly two bags on a keyboard with comprehensive MIDI ports I would have thought it logical to get an AI that can interface with it directly?

Not followed all the thread but Cubase was mentioned? Yes, nothing better for MIDI work but as said, quite a learning curve. Good thing is, lots of books and people on forums happy to help. Have you downloaded the trial?

Dave.

DO NOT jump straight into the full version of Cubase. It's good value, BUT, it's not the easiest to get to know well, as there are so many functions. I have Pro 10 - and would never suggest it to an absolute beginner. Choose from the Artist series - if you compare them, you'll see it's very close. You lose features that are not beginner features - in fact, the two installs are virtually the same, the licence unlocks the appropriate features. Upgrade is then easy, IF you like it.

Oh okay, I'm not sure I want to try cubebase yet lol, I do love the way fl studio looks, like everything just looks modern and not like from the year 2000, I dont know what cubebase looks like but that seems to be what the other ones look like,

Anyways, what I'm thinking for the cover videos, Is singing with the mic and some how direct record audio and not midi from the piano into FL studio, just for cover songs,

For music creation I would use the midi. I also have akia mpk61, I can use that for music creation and all that to, but like velocity all that I can change easy in fl studio

Right - You need to get a proper audio interface if you are going to make any progress with mics and other sources. Look at the Scarlett 2i2 type devices.

You could record the audio output from your Kawai into the interface, and record your voice and job done - BUT, it's frankly, a bit silly. You could drive your car only in fourth gear, but that's not the sensible way to use the gears it has in the gearbox.

1. Can you play the music 100% reliably every time you play? If you make a mistake, you go back to the top and play it again. Next time you make a mistake somewhere else, so gradually you get tired and your first note error free performance is NOT the best one. If you are a pianist, you'll get this. So you record the MIDI data, and when you accidentally clipped that Ab, you can simply remove it. You can change the wrong note you played in the chorus with a mouse click. You can look at that note in the loud chord in the chorus and see why it was weak, and you can change the velocity of it from 29 up to 40 to match the others. Recording it direct offers none of these time saving features.

2. Can you improve on the Kawai's piano sound? To be honest, yes you can, if it is not suitable for the song. My Gem has a usable piano sound - quite realistic on stage, but if you listen carefully, you just know it's not real. Some of the sample and synth VSTs sound like a good grand, and importantly a good grand in an excellent room. That's enough for me.

3. If you have never even looked into cubase, then buying even the limited version is daft! Download a demo of all the ones you consider and try them. One will shine for you, but beware, making the wrong choice is difficult once you get good. All of the popular sequencers have very loyal fans. None are rubbish. They're just all a bit different. Swapping later takes real courage and patience, so important to get right. I started with Cubase 20+ years ago and I'm still with it. Also check that your computer is not only just within the specs on all these DAWs - if it needs X and you have that, just - it's NOT good enough.

Download some demos, get a proper audio interface if you don't have one, and start learning. You seem to be making decisions randomly. One moment ready to9 shell out £300+ for a full cubase system, next, going back to recording the keyboard's audio. This is just too random for long lived results. If you sing and play at the same time - you will have lots of editing to do, even if you are a diploma grade pianist. In fact, if you are, your editing gets even more critical.

If you look carefully, many of the interfaces come with free software, usually the cut down versions so you can try for free!

Hi, I do already have the Scarlett 2i2 with a rode mic, so I'm all set there :) I seem to be liking fl studio, So I might just stay with that, I have a really good mic and nice interface, the midi I just leave on 100% velocity, so every note is played the same, seems to sound better that way, and I got the lag worked out,

I would still like the velocity from the mp 11se to work rite with fl studio, I'm still not sure how to work that out, seems like what it does is, when I play some notes just dont come throught loud enough and others do, so it sounds all weird, its not me for sure, it's just the way fl studio is reading it or the way the piano is sending the notes played

I'm watching some guy on YouTube test out piano plug ins. And he is using studio one. And I went to studio one website and they have super good midi support like hight resolution to support extra info, maybe I'll try that,
https://youtu.be/CUI6y4PDBRA

I would still like the velocity from the mp 11se to work rite with fl studio, I'm still not sure how to work that out, seems like what it does is, when I play some notes just dont come throught loud enough and others do, so it sounds all weird, its not me for sure, it's just the way fl studio is reading it or the way the piano is sending the notes played

have you updated drivers?

Yeah, directly from kawia, fl studio knows it's a kawia, just seems like the velocity just stinks, it does play quiter and louder, but it's just I dont know, works better for me with it on 100% velocity always

Back to the cube base edition options. I know you said dont dive into Cubebase 10 Pro
But i just want to say, Cubebase 10 pro will cost me 339 because i already own fl studio. CubeBase Artist will cost be 309
So you think I should not get the Cube Base Pro? its pretty much free

It helps if you type in cubase - there are thousands of tutorials on it, and Steinberg the manufacturer/developer has loads of videos too.

Is there a demo version of the full Cubase 10 Pro you can download and try? I've tried, so I now think you should immediately download Cubase 10 pro, because a. you can clearly afford it, and b. are confident you will know how to get the best out of it.

There is SO much information on this subject out there, Cubase and the others main players even have their own section in Sound on Sound every month and have done for 20 years. There are huge numbers of videos on every feature of cubase, done by really amazing people and total idiots. So many, that most serious users only ever use them to find a quick guide to where to look in the massive menu system. I'd like to think I'm pretty competent with it, but I think every week Youtube points me in the right direction when I cannot do something. This week, after 20 years I discovered what one little button did, and it would have helped me massively to have found it before.

Youtube is NOT a how to use Cubase friendly platform. The videos who pretend to do that are awful. The good ones are improve videos. You are on your own with lots of coffee.

I admire your confidence and perseverance.

I love Cubase, I've never before had so many warning bells ring. Best of luck. Remember my advice when you have pulled all your hair out.

I was also thinking of buying a piano vts plug in,

In that case, download the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq. Very good piano sound, low CPU hit (helps with latency) and a very good but straightforward MIDI "engine". Might help you understand stuff better?

Dave.

In that case, download the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq. Very good piano sound, low CPU hit (helps with latency) and a very good but straightforward MIDI "engine". Might help you understand stuff better?

Dave.
That looks awesome thankyou! That will work as a plug in to? In cubase or fl studio?

Hi, Yeah, I'll download the Artist trial and start there, :) thankyou so much for all the feedback and your time :)

Hi Rob, Yeah, I'll download the Artist trial and start there, :) thankyou so much for all the feedback and your time :)

Hi, Yeah, I'll download the Artist trial and start there, :) thankyou so much for all the feedback and your time :)

"
Pianoteq is an award-winning virtual instrument which you can install on your computer (PC/Mac). It can be used both in standalone mode and as an instrument plug-in in VST, AAX, and AudioUnits hosts."

Dave.

Back