Fl Studio midi piano keyboard help

LOA5000

Hello, I have a Kawia map 11se, connected to fl studio, newest drivers installed, the piano sounds just do not sound rite, the midi velocity is just weird, and seems a tad delay vs piano sound directly from piano to speakers, I feel like I have tried everything the last few days, I'm downloading pro tools first to see if that works better. I'm wanting to record cover songs on YouTube playing and singing. If you guys have any ideas of something I could be missing that would be awesome thanks,

Hello, I have a Kawia map 11se, connected to fl studio, newest drivers installed, the piano sounds just do not sound rite, the midi velocity is just weird, and seems a tad delay vs piano sound directly from piano to speakers, I feel like I have tried everything the last few days, I'm downloading pro tools first to see if that works better. I'm wanting to record cover songs on YouTube playing and singing. If you guys have any ideas of something I could be missing that would be awesome thanks,

More details on the set up and how the pc was scrubbed for audio use would help along with the settings and options you are using.
What else is running in the PC? Describe how the midi velocity is weird.

I do not think pro tools will help this.

You could be missing that you need to pay to perform cover songs. Did you get the rights to do that yet?

Do you mean that you play the keyboard, record the MIDI data and then replay it to the keyboard it sounds bad and has weird velocity response?

More details on the set up and how the pc was scrubbed for audio use would help along with the settings and options you are using.
What else is running in the PC? Describe how the midi velocity is weird.

I do not think pro tools will help this.

You could be missing that you need to pay to perform cover songs. Did you get the rights to do that yet?

The midi velocity is just not as accurate as like the piano hooked up to the speakers, Like some notes are played way to softly, I can hardly play just feels so weird, I tried increasing the velocity leval, I tried with velocity set to none, it's a tad bit badder because at least all the notes come throught tite, the piano also has 4 midi out zonelights to push, I tried turning them all on but it's like to much sound, like it just sounds better with just midi zone1 on, is there a way to like take a vidoe of everything I'm doing and link upload it,

How much does it costs to do cover songs? I thought that YouTube just splits the money with the person doing the cover song and the artists, not really sure what to do, thankyou for the help

The midi velocity is just not as accurate as like the piano hooked up to the speakers, Like some notes are played way to softly, I can hardly play just feels so weird, I tried increasing the velocity leval, I tried with velocity set to none, it's a tad bit badder because at least all the notes come throught tite, the piano also has 4 midi out zonelights to push, I tried turning them all on but it's like to much sound, like it just sounds better with just midi zone1 on, is there a way to like take a vidoe of everything I'm doing and link upload it,

How much does it costs to do cover songs? I thought that YouTube just splits the money with the person doing the cover song and the artists, not really sure what to do, thankyou for the help

I am confused. Do you have a piano or are you talking about a keyboard midi controller type device. I do not use fl and dont know what keyboard you are using. But have you read the documentations to see what they say about delays and loudness?

Utoob should have info on IP law and paying. My understanding is that if you perform a cover then you have to pay for the right to do it. Perhaps that is only for creating CDs or vinyls not the performance itself. But until I go back and reread the details of current copyright I am tending to believe that when you perform and record your video for utoob that you owe somebody, who owns the copyright, money for doing that. It may well be that utoob owes more money everytime somebody plays your video too. And perhaps Utoob does the licensing and pays upfront or has another arrangement for performances creating the video.

I am confused. Do you have a piano or are you talking about a keyboard midi controller type device. I do not use fl and dont know what keyboard you are using. But have you read the documentations to see what they say about delays and loudness?

Utoob should have info on IP law and paying. My understanding is that if you perform a cover then you have to pay for the right to do it. Perhaps that is only for creating CDs or vinyls not the performance itself. But until I go back and reread the details of current copyright I am tending to believe that when you perform and record your video for utoob that you owe somebody, who owns the copyright, money for doing that. It may well be that utoob owes more money everytime somebody plays your video too. And perhaps Utoob does the licensing and pays upfront or has another arrangement for performances creating the video.

I have a kawia mp 11se keyboard that plugs into the PC with USB cable, there's all kinds of velocity setting and stuff. But seems no matter what I try I cant get it to play and sound nice

I have a kawia mp 11se keyboard that plugs into the PC with USB cable, there's all kinds of velocity setting and stuff. But seems no matter what I try I cant get it to play and sound nice

Okay. That is one awesome keyboard/stage piano that supports midi.

I have to think that you have some settings that are wrong. There are a LOT of them from what I see looking at the specs on that. Are you sure you do not have any f/x or other things set that could cause this problem?

Possibly there are things in the pc causing problems.
Or maybe options in fl.
Worst case it is how you play it. Something that fancy would have keys that respond with the way you play them. Have you tried one note at a time and varied how hard/fast you hit keys and how long you linger before releasing?

Okay, I'm gonna read the manual to the keyboard and try to figure out what's going on. It does pick up how long I hold the keys, the foot pedal to substain the notes, but a lot of the keys the volume velocity go to low and some are louder, I dont know its weird, I got to go to work see what I can figure out tomorrow or tonight

Okay, I'm gonna read the manual to the keyboard and try to figure out what's going on. It does pick up how long I hold the keys, the foot pedal to substain the notes, but a lot of the keys the volume velocity go to low and some are louder, I dont know its weird, I got to go to work see what I can figure out tomorrow or tonight

i would guess the volume would vary by how hard you push the key

that is why i suggest doing one note at a time and repeating all with a variety of force and duration to see what that does to the note

You didn't respond to my question - all you're doing at the moment. is going to the computer (via USB connection I see) and simply recording MIDI and replaying the sounds from the Kawai?

The velocity scaling isn't very linear with some keyboards. I don't know FL studio, but with a midi track recorded, will it let you inspect the velocities? A good test is to put it into record and play a chord as quietly as you can, so it sounds on the keyboard, then gradually play louder and louder until you are at maximum volume. The inspect the recording and see what velocities got recorded. The range will on 0-126, or 1-127. It's quite possible that the loudest could only get to maybe 100 or so, and the quiet ones you heard sounding are missing totally until quite a few in. Most sequencers. will give you the option to add or subtract from the MIDI value. Cubase that I use certainly does, and if I play on my stage piano (a gem) it seems very responsive at low velocities, and less so when I play loud. If I user this. as a master keyboard and select a piano sample that I like, it's quite difficult to play quietly, and easier to play loudly. I routinely deduct a bit from the data value, and it then matches how it's internal sound works. My master keyboard with unweighted keys behaves totally differently.

On the youtube cover version front - you won't make a penny, because Youtube will identify the composer, and route any payments to them. You will get a copyright claim. Takes about 5 minutes from upload. If you use any on-line system, the composer will get the PRS, you might get PPL if you are a member. I've never had. remotely enough plays to generate anything from youtube. Stick one of your covers up and test the system - if your recording is close to the original they will identify it. If it's a radical re-arrangement, then you might get away with it.

Hi thankyou for all the input, I noticed the volume on the piano midi volume is set to 127, nothing changed when I turned it all the way down. There is also 4 midi zones, I only use one because turning on more meshs the sound, I have the piano connected directly to my msi gaming laptop, then the laptop to scarlett2i2 interface with cables to hs8 Yamaha speakers, I also for regular piano practice run the xlr cables directly from piano to speakers. That sounds perfectly fine in everywat, I tested the velocity before, it recorded how hard and how light I pushed the keys, just doesn't seem to be perfect, I can change the velocity recordings with my mouse up and down after I play them with the piano. I guess I just feel confused. Because I thought playing the piano throught fl studio with midi would sound better then piano directly to speakers, I tried all the piano sounds in fl studio and they dont sound that great,

I was thinking about installing cube base to try for 30 days, but I dont know lol.

I also have the
Rode Microphones NT1 Condenser Microphone

YouTube, Oh you think my vidoe on YouTube could get taken down? There's so many covers of popular songs on YouTube, I dont think those people get licences, I don't know its confusing lol

Last edited:
You've got a little lost I think. Using the DAW like you are is purely for recording and replay of the data - not the sound. So you can record, edit, then replay and you should get exactly the same sound that you got when you played it. The range of VSTi style pianos varies hugely. The Kawai is good, but the software instruments can be superior in various stages, or simply horrible. Good pianos cost good money - sad but true. A while back a forum member sent me a midi file that I played on some of the pianos I have available.

If you want to assess the sound of what different pianos using the same midi track sound like, you can download a zip file with quite a lot of them from my server.
http://www.limelight.org.uk/pianos.zip

This is the file just as it was sent to me, with no tweaking at all.

Cubase is a heavyweight DAW and the learning curve is steep - but the Artist versions are slightly cut down, but decent - IF you give it the effort
Re: Youtube. No, they don't take them down, you get this message:
A copyright owner using Content ID claimed some material in your video.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video’s views.

Video title: skyfall remix
Copyrighted content: Skyfall
Claimed by: SME and [Merlin] Beggars
View claim details

What's next?
If there are no problems, you don’t need to take any action. You don't need to delete your video.

If something went wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you’re confident you have the rights to use all the content in your video.

Yeah, I can download vst and put them in fl studio? Is there any daw that is like perfect for midi recording velocity? I Feel like the main thing rite now is some keys when I play the voliticy is to low or something, and there is a delay, when I get home I'm gonna try to change drivers in fl studio, try tweaking some stuff, so cube base cant pick up all velocity levels from piano? Is that what you where saying?

Also it looks like maybe I can record the kawia sdirectly into fl studio throught the rlx cables?

Hi thankyou for all the input, I noticed the volume on the piano midi volume is set to 127, nothing changed when I turned it all the way down. There is also 4 midi zones, I only use one because turning on more meshs the sound, I have the piano connected directly to my msi gaming laptop, then the laptop to scarlett2i2 interface with cables to hs8 Yamaha speakers, I also for regular piano practice run the xlr cables directly from piano to speakers. That sounds perfectly fine in everywat, I tested the velocity before, it recorded how hard and how light I pushed the keys, just doesn't seem to be perfect, I can change the velocity recordings with my mouse up and down after I play them with the piano. I guess I just feel confused. Because I thought playing the piano throught fl studio with midi would sound better then piano directly to speakers, I tried all the piano sounds in fl studio and they dont sound that great,

I was thinking about installing cube base to try for 30 days, but I dont know lol.

I also have the
Rode Microphones NT1 Condenser Microphone

YouTube, Oh you think my vidoe on YouTube could get taken down? There's so many covers of popular songs on YouTube, I dont think those people get licences, I don't know its confusing lol

I would be surprised if the midi sounded as good as going direct. But it depends what piano samples you are triggering or whether you are using a synth. Like the other guy said the quality is all over the place. Some really good, others not so much.

I was using fl keys. Then there's a a separate piano stuff. Like it's own window, stage piano grand,
What is the best way for me to record a cover song, I have the mic fl studio, should I just play and collect the piano sound and my voice throught the microphone or should I play midi and sing throught mic

Last edited:
You're still lost. Your sequencer/DAW records the data your keyboard puts out. If the keyboard sends out a note on message with a velocity of 73, the EVERY sequencer/DAW will record it as that value. When they play it back, they send that note at 73. The trouble is that some of the keyboards just are variable in the accuracy of what the send. If you take playing so lightly it makes no sound, and then playing so hard your filling rattle - that should be the range from loudest to quietest - but if you gradually reduce the loudness by playing quieter until the volume is half I'd bet that the velocity is not 64, as in half the maximum. It could be 50, or 70, or even further afield. If you want to send me a short midi file from your DAW, with loud and quiet - or you playing a piece of music that you know what it should sound like - I will do what I did for the other fella, play it back on those other pianos.

Looking at FL Studio's website, it does appear to support most of the popular VST packages, so I'd suggest that if you like it, stick with it for a bit. Do you have a proper mixer? One issue you will have to contend with is that when you start to create music in the computer, using it's sounds, combining these with your Kawai's sound may frustrate you - you will need to be able to get the Kauai's audio into the computer so you can do the end mix downs and monitor what you do.

What I'm failing to get across is that MIDI is simply which note, when you played it and the time it took for the key to go from up to down. It does not measure how hard you hit the key, only the speed - which is broadly the same thing. However, if things are working properly, what you play should replay sounding exactly the same. However, if you try this on some quite good synths or keyboards, the onboard processing of the key presses is more accurate than MIDI can handle - MIDI has 127 levels for velocity, but your keyboard might have better resolution. This, if it happens, is beyond MIDI ability. Luckily, most times, some shifting of the MIDI range gets you back to the mid range where accuracy is best. One of the Kontakt instruments I use requires me to play very quietly. My plastic keyed unweighted keyboard is much, much better at this than my weighted keyboard.

I don't get why someone would pay nearly two grand for a stonking keyboard then cheap out on an interface without MIDI ports?

Dave.

Well really because I have no idea what I'm doing lol
What would a audio interface with midi do for me?

I'm not smart with this stuff at all, the more I try to do the more stuff I figure out I know nothing about lol

Back