Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fl Studio midi piano keyboard help

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi thankyou for all the input, I noticed the volume on the piano midi volume is set to 127, nothing changed when I turned it all the way down. There is also 4 midi zones, I only use one because turning on more meshs the sound, I have the piano connected directly to my msi gaming laptop, then the laptop to scarlett2i2 interface with cables to hs8 Yamaha speakers, I also for regular piano practice run the xlr cables directly from piano to speakers. That sounds perfectly fine in everywat, I tested the velocity before, it recorded how hard and how light I pushed the keys, just doesn't seem to be perfect, I can change the velocity recordings with my mouse up and down after I play them with the piano. I guess I just feel confused. Because I thought playing the piano throught fl studio with midi would sound better then piano directly to speakers, I tried all the piano sounds in fl studio and they dont sound that great,

I was thinking about installing cube base to try for 30 days, but I dont know lol.

I also have the
    Rode Microphones NT1 Condenser Microphone

YouTube, Oh you think my vidoe on YouTube could get taken down? There's so many covers of popular songs on YouTube, I dont think those people get licences, I don't know its confusing lol
    Last edited by LOA5000; 04-04-2019 at 13:54.

Thanks
    You've got a little lost I think. Using the DAW like you are is purely for recording and replay of the data - not the sound. So you can record, edit, then replay and you should get exactly the same sound that you got when you played it. The range of VSTi style pianos varies hugely. The Kawai is good, but the software instruments can be superior in various stages, or simply horrible. Good pianos cost good money - sad but true. A while back a forum member sent me a midi file that I played on some of the pianos I have available.

If you want to assess the sound of what different pianos using the same midi track sound like, you can download a zip file with quite a lot of them from my server.
    http://www.limelight.org.uk/pianos.zip

This is the file just as it was sent to me, with no tweaking at all.

Cubase is a heavyweight DAW and the learning curve is steep - but the Artist versions are slightly cut down, but decent - IF you give it the effort
    Re: Youtube. No, they don't take them down, you get this message:
    A copyright owner using Content ID claimed some material in your video.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

There are either ads running on your video, with the revenue going to the copyright owner, or the copyright owner is receiving stats about your video’s views.

Video title: skyfall remix
    Copyrighted content: Skyfall
    Claimed by: SME and [Merlin] Beggars
    View claim details

What's next?
    If there are no problems, you don’t need to take any action. You don't need to delete your video.

If something went wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you’re confident you have the rights to use all the content in your video.

Thanks
    Yeah, I can download vst and put them in fl studio? Is there any daw that is like perfect for midi recording velocity? I Feel like the main thing rite now is some keys when I play the voliticy is to low or something, and there is a delay, when I get home I'm gonna try to change drivers in fl studio, try tweaking some stuff, so cube base cant pick up all velocity levels from piano? Is that what you where saying?

Also it looks like maybe I can record the kawia sdirectly into fl studio throught the rlx cables?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LOA5000 View Post
    Hi thankyou for all the input, I noticed the volume on the piano midi volume is set to 127, nothing changed when I turned it all the way down. There is also 4 midi zones, I only use one because turning on more meshs the sound, I have the piano connected directly to my msi gaming laptop, then the laptop to scarlett2i2 interface with cables to hs8 Yamaha speakers, I also for regular piano practice run the xlr cables directly from piano to speakers. That sounds perfectly fine in everywat, I tested the velocity before, it recorded how hard and how light I pushed the keys, just doesn't seem to be perfect, I can change the velocity recordings with my mouse up and down after I play them with the piano. I guess I just feel confused. Because I thought playing the piano throught fl studio with midi would sound better then piano directly to speakers, I tried all the piano sounds in fl studio and they dont sound that great,

I was thinking about installing cube base to try for 30 days, but I dont know lol.

I also have the
    Rode Microphones NT1 Condenser Microphone

YouTube, Oh you think my vidoe on YouTube could get taken down? There's so many covers of popular songs on YouTube, I dont think those people get licences, I don't know its confusing lol

I would be surprised if the midi sounded as good as going direct. But it depends what piano samples you are triggering or whether you are using a synth. Like the other guy said the quality is all over the place. Some really good, others not so much.

Thanks
    I was using fl keys. Then there's a a separate piano stuff. Like it's own window, stage piano grand,
    What is the best way for me to record a cover song, I have the mic fl studio, should I just play and collect the piano sound and my voice throught the microphone or should I play midi and sing throught mic
    Last edited by LOA5000; 04-04-2019 at 15:11.

Thanks
    You're still lost. Your sequencer/DAW records the data your keyboard puts out. If the keyboard sends out a note on message with a velocity of 73, the EVERY sequencer/DAW will record it as that value. When they play it back, they send that note at 73. The trouble is that some of the keyboards just are variable in the accuracy of what the send. If you take playing so lightly it makes no sound, and then playing so hard your filling rattle - that should be the range from loudest to quietest - but if you gradually reduce the loudness by playing quieter until the volume is half I'd bet that the velocity is not 64, as in half the maximum. It could be 50, or 70, or even further afield. If you want to send me a short midi file from your DAW, with loud and quiet - or you playing a piece of music that you know what it should sound like - I will do what I did for the other fella, play it back on those other pianos.

Looking at FL Studio's website, it does appear to support most of the popular VST packages, so I'd suggest that if you like it, stick with it for a bit. Do you have a proper mixer? One issue you will have to contend with is that when you start to create music in the computer, using it's sounds, combining these with your Kawai's sound may frustrate you - you will need to be able to get the Kauai's audio into the computer so you can do the end mix downs and monitor what you do.

What I'm failing to get across is that MIDI is simply which note, when you played it and the time it took for the key to go from up to down. It does not measure how hard you hit the key, only the speed - which is broadly the same thing. However, if things are working properly, what you play should replay sounding exactly the same. However, if you try this on some quite good synths or keyboards, the onboard processing of the key presses is more accurate than MIDI can handle - MIDI has 127 levels for velocity, but your keyboard might have better resolution. This, if it happens, is beyond MIDI ability. Luckily, most times, some shifting of the MIDI range gets you back to the mid range where accuracy is best. One of the Kontakt instruments I use requires me to play very quietly. My plastic keyed unweighted keyboard is much, much better at this than my weighted keyboard.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I don't get why someone would pay nearly two grand for a stonking keyboard then cheap out on an interface without MIDI ports?

Dave.

Thanks
    Well really because I have no idea what I'm doing lol
    What would a audio interface with midi do for me?

Thanks
    My laptop piano runs USB directly to laptop, what would midi interface do? I'm so confused lol

Thanks
    I'm not smart with this stuff at all, the more I try to do the more stuff I figure out I know nothing about lol

Thread Information