First Week Recording my keyboard - USB General Latency Questions - TASCAM US 122

Jazzmandave

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ill get right to it. I have a Yamaha keyboard, connected to a US 122 TASCAM, then USB to my HP DV5 laptop Vista 64 bit, 4 gig ram, running Adobe Audition 1.5

I am getting a delay when recording even the first track... but if I remove the tascam from my setup and plug directly into the LapTop's microphone jack and record that way, there seems to be no delay ("latency" as I see it is called). Therefore I assume the issue is being created by the TASCAM device.

I am searching and reading about the basics, and reading others' threads, but maybe someone can help me know what to do with the info I've come across:

#1 Is USB a reliable method for me to use my laptop to record? Since I can not install a "sound card" in my laptop, I assume this is why devices like my TASCAM US 122 is made. It seems there could not possibly anyone who would use this USB device if it truly has this delay as a downside...

#2 I have gone to my control panel and clicked on the TASCAM icon, which opens a control box. There I was able to reduce the "buffer"" from 1024 to 256, I did this because I saw on other threads this might help...is that right?

#3 I read that others have installed an ASIO driver with better results. How do I do that? Should I do that? Does that have a downside? My TASCAM claims to have come with one, but where is it? Should I simply use this "asio4all" that people talk about? Does that driver have a downside?

Thanks so much if anyone can answer ANY of the above questions... I hope I asked them correctly.

Cheers,

Dave

I am using the "direct monitoring" feature of the TASCAM by the way. I listen through headphones. What happens is that I go to record, sounds great, but I can tell during playback of even the first track that it is lagging.... seems to worsen as I go to add a second track.. that might be my imagination... anyway there is something fundamentally not right here.

I had that and cant recall the simple fix...arrrg... the preference settings in the recording software or its asio4all needed. try the asio4all....it wont hurt anything. its free. not familiar with your recording software.

its the software setting if I recall. and the DIRECT Monitor is being used for your phones....ASIO FULL DUPLEX selected, check that too.

Back