First time noob, trying to get a better sound

Henrod50

My friend and I have recorded a song. We used my tascam dp-008. We are only using the internal microphones. I am making a stereo master track on the unit and uploading that to my computer where I cut the ends off with audacity. I am not satisfied with my guitar sound. I tried different placements of the unit, but can't get a good sound. Is there anyway I can record direct with my fender mustang IV?

If you go to youtube, my username is thehenrod50
The song is old dirt road

Improve your sound by not using the internal microphones. Get at least 1 dynamic mic - the GLS em57 (a Shure SM57 clone) can be had for less than $40.
The DP-008 has one input that can be used for direct plugged-in guitar, most likely that would sound better than trying to mic an amp with the built-in mics. You could use an adapter to go from the Mustang's 1/8" stereo headphone ouput to the two 1/4" line inputs.

Yeah - of the three hundred things you don't yet know about how to get a good sound in a recording, this would be in the top ten, I'd say...

Thanks for the helpful reply mike! I'll give it a try. So I should use a dynamic mic, rather than a condenser for recording my amp? I have a couple sm 58s. Do they record guitar well?

If you have sm58s use them. They'll sound fine on a guitar amp. I looked up your tascam dp-008, it'll take a mic input. Plug the sm58 into that and you're good to go. The amp will sound a little different 2 inches away than you're used to hearing it, but you can twiddle the knobs a little to make sure what you're recording sounds like what you want to hear. good luck

The amp will sound a little different 2 inches away than you're used to hearing it, but you can twiddle the knobs a little to make sure what you're recording sounds like what you want to hear. good luck
you can move the mic too to get different sound ;)

Back