Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First studio for violin, voice, and keys.

Thanks

First studio for violin, voice, and keys.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi, please can you advise what I need to buy for my first affordable, studio. I play the violin, sing and the keyboard. I have a Roland synth. Acoustic violin. I have friends who play guitar, bass, drums etc. But for starting to record my own songs, I plan to use a programme, I have a monitor also. And a laptop. I want to record songs that others can also record with. But first with what I have. What programme and equipment do I need please? I'm 31 and love all music, at the moment I'm playing in an electro swing band! Thank you... *~ Selva

Thanks
    YOU need:
    Microphones (& cables, stands)
    Audio interface
    DAW (recording software)
    Headphones (for listening to previously-recorded tracks while recording new ones
    Monitors (speakers) for listening back to your mixed tracks.
    TIME
    More time
    Patience
    Start by reading these two threads:
    NOOBS!!!BEFORE POSTING!!~READ THIS!! The Ultimate Newbie FAQ thread
    Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For acoustic violin you need a good space and a decent microphone. While you can make a lot of accomodations for the space by close micing vocals, the violin is not well suited to close micing so the acoustics of the place that you're recording in will contribute, for better or worse. You haven't described the space you'll be using for a studio, but unless it's reasonably large and already sounds good, you'll want to budget for room treatment, after you've read everything you can find on just the equipment you'll need and how to get started.

P.S. If you're already playing the fiddle in a band, and it has a pickup, recording direct might be a quicker solution, short-term, so you can use that signal mixed with a microphone, for the violin track.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll add to Keith's comment. You need a good space and a decent microphone - OR - you want a really dead and damped space, and some really good room simulations in terms of reverb. My studio sounds fine for most things, but I've discovered it records my double bass poorly, and does the same with my saxes. Voice and guitars sound fine, but the saxes especially sound horrible. Heavily damping the room so its quite dead and unmusical sounding lets me record the instruments really dry, with hardly and real room sound, because the room sound is bad and I can replace it with better. It seems to be ok with mixing and other sources, but saxes sound thins and strange, and the double bass has all sorts of my playing defects - left hand slap/rattle and physical noise in particular that it taxes the eq. I think violin would be pretty bad too, as it's another instrument that really needs a wonderful space to make the tone work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you! I will start with the basic list, there. I was wondering whether to buy an all you need home recording kit for 150 on Amazon, but maybe I could work out a better quality condenser mic, etc, and buy the list posted, seperately? Limited budget, so I'm just trying to find out the best way to go about it.- I was planning to record in the kitchen, very small! Better resonance for a fiddle and less rattling? And set up the mixing in my living room. I also have a big understairs cupboard I could soundproof... Not sure about that yet. Lots of time! Autumn and winter project, just really want to get started, so I'll work on this list. Thank you so much, *~

Thanks
    Any tips for a good\ affordable audio interface please ? Best wishes, Selva ☺

Thanks
    'Affordable' means different things to different people. Do you already have a mic, and other gear? What are the specs on your laptop - PC or Mac?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Studio SOS: Violin Recordings |

^"Read, learn and inwardly digest" Ok! Might put you off a bit but, with such a tricky instrument as the violin (never recorded one but all said so far seems right from other sources I have read) you need to get some decent kit I think or the results will be bad and kill your enthusiasm?

I have to be brutally honest and say, IMHO 150 will just about get you a suitable microphione or, a modest interface. Regarding the latter, you have a Roland synth, does it have MIDI ports? If so, DO make sure you get an AI similarly equipped. The plethora of instruments "mate" plays leads me to think you will need at least 4 microphone inputs, maybe even look at the Tascam 20-20?

Sorry to be a bit of a misery but strings are hard to REPRODUCE well even from superb recordings leave alone record so you have shall we say some challenging times ahead!

And speaking of "repro", you are going to need some very good monitors and headphones.

And, NOT that you need to spend AS much but the mic mentioned in that article is well on the way to a bag of sand!

Dave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, yes I will.need four inputs to record my friends input as instruments, my synth does have midi inputs,my laptop is average to poor, and I'm not totally fussed about the quality condenser of violin recording, the best I can get, will do, that's what life is like with a violin. SO, please advise the best interface, and mic, I assume, at this stage, thank you so much. It doesn't have to be the best mic, just a basically good one, will do. The interface, as I say, with my experience of recording violin, always trouble, never amazing, so the interface please is most important, I would like advice on.. Thanks

Thanks
    Recording a violin is easy. Making it sound nice is damn difficult. The room you record in is usually the biggest problem. Violins sound awful in square, boxy spaces with parallel walls.

What are the recordings for? We have no idea of your quality expectations. Just a record of what you played or something that sounds commercial?

If you have all these instruments then you need multiples of everything, so budget will need to be multiple too. Mics, stands, cables, then at the very least decent monitors will set you back plenty. Number of inputs is the major buying problem. How many sources at one time? Stereo is quite simple - the 2i2 being a cheap interface with a decent reputation. If you need to go more than two channels, it gets expensive, and more than four will be very expensive. It's a bit like asking what car to buy? So much depends on what your expectations and needs are. Could you give us a typical recording session from your head? What will be happening?
    Last edited by rob aylestone; 10-01-2018 at 05:11.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thread Information