First studio for violin, voice, and keys.

HI Dave, the synth is a Roland Rs-5 64 voice synthesiser. It has midi and line input/s, 3 of each. it's over 15 years old. I vaguely recall are the fittings different then?, one midi connection is wired together, with 3 ends?, one line, similar, three inputs red and white split all on the same lead?

The only thing I can record at the same time, is voice and keys. I can't sing and play violin at the same time.

I spoke to someone last night who thought I needed at east four inputs... I am looking at the 6i6 now, would it fit to my roland rs-5 ? I haven't a clue.

Please help! I'm still getting somewhere, I think! slowly but surely!

Does this information help?

Ok, found a manual for the Roland and, as I suspected, it has two 1/4" output jacks but, as is usual, if you just use the left out you get a mono mix so you can have synth into the AI and mic (I would suggest running those as two separate mono tracks, not a stereo pair because you might want to treat each one differently post tracking. But, think on.

MIDI. The ports are called "DIN" connectors and standard 5 pin DIN cables are used. Input and output are perhaps obvious? "Thru" means that the input data is sent back out but does not affect the Roland's sounds. The manual gives LOTS of information about MIDI and I know practically NONE of it! I have hooked very simple systems up and made them play and recorded data and had that play an external device. More than that I cannot say.

But, thinking on! It would perhaps be nice to have the synth in stereo? I strongly urge you to get an AI with MIDI ports. Yes, the Focusrite you would need is the 6i6 minimum and they are around £180 but, AIs last for many years (I have an 8i6. Obsolete but F'rite still do Win 10 drivers for it) so unless you are very, very old, get a good, future proof setup NOW!

Dave.

Ok, found a manual for the Roland and, as I suspected, it has two 1/4" output jacks but, as is usual, if you just use the left out you get a mono mix so you can have synth into the AI and mic (I would suggest running those as two separate mono tracks, not a stereo pair because you might want to treat each one differently post tracking. But, think on.

MIDI. The ports are called "DIN" connectors and standard 5 pin DIN cables are used. Input and output are perhaps obvious? "Thru" means that the input data is sent back out but does not affect the Roland's sounds. The manual gives LOTS of information about MIDI and I know practically NONE of it! I have hooked very simple systems up and made them play and recorded data and had that play an external device. More than that I cannot say.

But, thinking on! It would perhaps be nice to have the synth in stereo? I strongly urge you to get an AI with MIDI ports. Yes, the Focusrite you would need is the 6i6 minimum and they are around £180 but, AIs last for many years (I have an 8i6. Obsolete but F'rite still do Win 10 drivers for it) so unless you are very, very old, get a good, future proof setup NOW!

Dave.

Thank you, Soo SO much. :) If I was religious I would bestow a thousand blessings upon you! You are an angel, Thank you!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME HERE!

I'll be back when I have an at least four or more input, interface that has MIDI set up ! :) THANKS ! ! !

Selva x

Should I get an 18i8 Focusrite 1st Gen. If I see it for the same price then? ;) (thinking ahead to band recording) It is still compatible with windows 10? the driver isn't too expensive? It would still work for many years? Thank You.

It's only 4 mic inputs? I've had a Tascam interface with 8 XLR inputs and a couple of lines/inst for a year or two now and I rather like it - the new model is Tascam US-16x08 Audio Interface - a bit smarter looking, that's all.

Thank you, Soo SO much. :) If I was religious I would bestow a thousand blessings upon you! You are an angel, Thank you!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME HERE!

I'll be back when I have an at least four or more input, interface that has MIDI set up ! :) THANKS ! ! !

Selva x

Then my work here is done...For now!

Dave.

Hi, so I just bought a Behringer, UMC404HD Audio Interface, As it's what I can afford.

I know I'm pushing it, but please, may I have some advice as to the leads I will need? I would like to connect an xlr microphone,

and a Roland synth, Rs-5 64 voice synthesiser, which has three midi's, thru out and in, and five jacks, two pedal, control & hold, Two output, L and R and one phones.

I assume I also need a lead for headphones? and also for speakers to playback?

eek, so excited!

Not pushing anything, there is not limit on questions here! Cables then...

Mic needs female to male 3 pin XLR. Now do not be swayed by claims of "super" cables, so long as they are of decent construction they all sound the same.(in fact even if they were made from old baler wire it would not matter!) Decide how long you want it and then buy two! Each can be 1/2 the length if you are really strapped since XLR cables can be clipped together ad.inf. Cables CAN go faulty and especially with the complication of phantom power, faults can be hard to diagnose. Having a spare cable is MOST handy.

Roland to Behringer: TS jack to jack cables two off. Exactly the same cable you use for electric guitar but, again buy budget ones (not curly!) LOT of guff talked about guitar leads, even more than all the other!

MIDI: 5pin DIN 2 off. Just bog standard audio din cables. The only ones to beware of are "crossover" cables but them's rare these days.

Headphones come with their own. If you don't yet have any headphones the Sennheiser HD 202s are £20 or so and pretty good. I have some AKG k92s £40 and I find them superb but really the sky is the limit for "cans" ...

AS it is for speakers! Start reading about "studio monitors".

I have to go out now but will be back in a couple of hours but I dare say someone will help fill in the gaps?

Dave.

Hello, Dave, et.al?
Ok, firstly thank you. I did get the leads and now I have set up my behringer umc404 to the laptop. I bought a new laptop (black friday) that can handle cakewalk, it has two TB 's apparently! which is installed and the behrniger drivers are installed too. I have some quite good creative speakers, I like the creative brand for listening. But they only have one mini Jack and the behringer playback has two ports on the back for playback. So I'm not sure how they could be used there, yet or if need be (?)
My first speedbump was that the Roland synth has an internal malfunction. So she is out and back in the cupboard.
It does give me enough space to try to focus on just setting up the microphone to record, though!
Which is my second speedbump! I don't know how to set it up to record!
I know it's an xlr to xlr from the mic to the behringer. Got that! And it is flashing to say it is picking up the mics signals. Yay!
But I don't know how to hear what the microphone picks up(playsback?) when it's plugged in to the behringer. :) forgive me!)
I have an amp, and also some creative speakers and tonnes of leads.
I have checked, and the mic does work as do my headphones.
Please, advise me as to my next step. You are my gods. :)
My device again is a behringer umc404, I have tried YouTube tutorials but I haven't found one as basic as I require.
My best,
Selva :)

have you read and enacted upon page 36 of the Quick Start Guide? If not, do that immediately and try to get a CD or YT or online radio to play 'through the headphone jack on the UMC. Note the guide's mention of the "monitor mix" or "direct monitoring" control or switch (not sure which you have)

See, noobs ALWAYS ram in a mic and try to record! Not a BIT of good if the PC+AI is not playing back! You have made some progress. The level indicator flashes you say as you speak into the mic so forget that for now and get some sounds in the cans. Be back when I've eaten me kippers.

(not familar with Cakewalk, might have to start with Audacity but we shall see)

Dave.

Interesting!
:)
I now can hear the mic through the headphones in the AI. :)
Cakewalk shows it knows the device is there..but not picking it up when I press record, yet.
I'll download audacity. And come back to it :)
Thank you !!!

---------- Update ----------

Thank you, Dave

Interesting!
:)
I now can hear the mic through the headphones in the AI. :)
Cakewalk shows it knows the device is there..but not picking it up when I press record, yet.
I'll download audacity. And come back to it :)
Thank you !!!

---------- Update ----------

Thank you, Dave

Have you "armed" a track in Cakewalk? As I say not familar (got it yrs ago for son. Hated it) but with all DAWs you have to setup A track (best to name it) then specify the device from which it records then arm the track.

Dave.

Ok, thanks, it is working on audacity for now!
I'm going back to it tomorrow and try to arm the track!
How b***dy exciting!
?

Ok, thanks, it is working on audacity for now!
I'm going back to it tomorrow and try to arm the track!
How b***dy exciting!
��

Great! I have guess the Creatives are something like the T10s and so you would need this..3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x 6.35mm Mono Audio Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics to get them to repro the UMC.

I am sure they sound err'OK! to you but are a long way from proper monitors. They will however give you a much better stereo "picture" than headphones. Then I am sure playing a violin wearing cans is nigh on impossible! Guitar is trouble enough.

Jus thought. You could drive the speakers from the hedphone jack using a 3.5mm-3.5mm jack lead. That might work out easier as you can wind the HP control up and down easier than killing the speakers when the mic is live.

Dave.

Back