First home studio. Only for vocal

NoMisicNoFun

Hello guys.

I have a clear vision what I need and hope to get some advices from people who understand those things.

I think that is possible to fit in 500-1000$ for equipment.

First question is will be about equipment and second one about “studio building” (like sound acoustics etc.)

Ok lets start, the aim is best possible vocal quality. In most cases “studio” will be used to record man vocal (rap, rnb, .singing), maybe sometimes woman vocal also. However there will not be any instruments record (like guitars, drums or etc.) also no hard rock, metal or etc. Aim is to get best quality lets say for rap/rnb songs. The best what can be is to record in quality that is professional. That I can already send vocal to people who do mastering and other sound works and finish the song. That re-record in professional studio will not be necessary.

I checked a lot of information in internet (home studio tips, home studio begginer and etc.) and how I see I just need few things.

1. Audio interface
2. Microphone
3. Computer
4. Pop filter

I know there is also things like monitors, good quality headphones (for vocal record that you hear yourself) etc. but like I said in beggining I want to concentrate and invest just to best possible vocal record. Computer - Im using macbook pro and will use garageband at the beggining (later I think update to Logic). So I need advices what microphone and audio interface I need to buy to get best possible vocal record by my specifications. Pop filter also.

And the second part is to prepare place for recording. The “studio” will be in garage which is “under earth/underground”. And also, when you come in to garage which is already in underground, there is one more -1 floor. In this floor will be “studio”. Want to say that in my country in winter sometimes we have -15/-30 degrees Celsius and in winters we have same temperature just +15/30 degrees Celsius. The place for “studio” is not very wet but however a little bit wet feels. The place is around 18m2 size. This place have one, very small room. Really small, where you can put microphone and one person to record, nothings more. So first question is better make “recording room” in this small room or for better quality I need to use biggest space and do it in bigger room? I really dont know anything about acoustics but I want to make everything best I can. All building is made from concrete (in place where will be studio also all walls, floors, ceilings etc.) is from concrete. What is the best ways to prepare my record room that I will get best possible quality?

Talk about acoustics is hard because my English language is not very good also when in comes to terms from music/producting is more harder because I dont know these terms. So I be glad and if you just help me with first part and recommend what equipment I need to buy.

I tried to write everything in details like what is aim for studio and where it will be. I will answer any questions you have if its important to choose correct equipment.

Will approciate all you help. Thank you!

So you are only recording vocals, you will not be doing any mixing, right? In that case monitors are not important. What you will want is the 'deadest' space possible - no reflections. A larger room will be better, but you would need to give the dimensions of the smaller room option. Constructing some rockwool (or compressed fiberglass or polyester or cotton) traps that you can place around you when recording will be the best thing.
You have 'computer' listed, but you must have one to post on this forum, right? You don't need anything fancy for recording 1 (vocal) track at a time.
Moisture is definitely an issue - it can cause problems with microphones and electrical equipment (from oxidation) over time. A dehumidifier should be used, just shut it off (noisy) when recording.

With the greatest humility and respect Mike I cannot agree with you that OP does not need good monitors. How is he supposed to judge the qualtity of his recordings unless he has something to "tell the truth"? Yes, a pair of really good headphones, $200+ will go a long way but IMHO if he seeks "mastering ready" recordings he needs accurate speakers.

The good news is, the voice only aspect means the monitors can be very small and THE biggest problem with rooms, bass response, is not much of an issue.

Microphones have been discussed here ad.n. And the usual suspects can be trotted out. The SM7b will be hard to better for a general purpose close mic. One the myriad LDCs for "backed off" singing but of course the latter will need absorbents front and aft at the very least.

Audio interface? Steinberg UR22, F'rite 2i4. The latest Mackies look good..If going with a 7b get that first then check some AIs for noise and bounce them back if not up to snuff.

Dave.

Dave - I interpreted what the OP said to mean he is using pre-recorded backing tracks and will be sending things out to be mixed/mastered. Small monitors could actually be a detriment to a newbie because the bass response is lacking/skewed. Need to confirm if this person is JUST recording vocals, not mixing.

Dave - I interpreted what the OP said to mean he is using pre-recorded backing tracks and will be sending things out to be mixed/mastered. Small monitors could actually be a detriment to a newbie because the bass response is lacking/skewed. Need to confirm if this person is JUST recording vocals, not mixing.

Mike- Yes, we need clarification (ain't it always the way!?) My meaning is..if he recodrds his voice he is not going to get a reliable idea of how it sounds unless he uses accurate monitors and those monitors really would not need much LF extension FOR VOICE.

I said OP could get by on GOOD cans? Not sure even of that when I think about it because we have a different idea of what we sound like due to head and other resonance and bone conduction. Heddphone repro will still "excite" the head!

Speech, especially male speech is notoriously difficult to reproduce well. It is a common test of speakers. There is also the issue of sound levels. Play voice too loud and it gets bass heavy and sibilants can spit. OP would do well IMHO to invest in a modest sound level meter.

None of this would matter of course if he was just Skyping his mates or joining the unwashed billions on YT but he used the word "mastering"?

Lastly, probably the service tech' in me but I always approach any audio "system" from output back!

Dave.

'Closed back' headphones for sure for tracking and they don't need to be expensive. Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro are good choices. Try out if possible for comfort and how they sound.

Hello!

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks to everyone who answered and helped! I really glad that there is people like you.

I posted this thread to two forums so I will post this answer to both forums same. Just to provide more information about my vision and what I want to do.

I will recod one vocal at one time. I’m making it for myself, I want to own my own studio where I can spend as much time I want and experiment as much I want. Also I making music (with garage band for now. For sure will move to Logic when I be good at garageband). So for beggining I just want to try record on my own beats or on bought (I understand that my own beats without master is not good idea, however if I will record something that looks good to me and I will want to finish this record to a song, Im planning to send all my project ((music and vocal)) to people which know how to master everything and makes job done).

I just want to see what I can now, last time I made records was 7-8 years ago. Now how I said I started creating music and is really interesting to me, I loved it. So I wanted to try make records and watch what I can. If I will see that I have potential in music industry at this time I will buy monitors, midi keyboard and other things. Will make my studio growth. But I not want invest a lot of money in the start. I want to try first. If it will be not what I hoped for is not be problem. I will can make some records when I want and leave it just like hobby.

You guys little bit scared me of saying that a lot depends on room not equipment. In one side is good - I can spend less money and have good quality if my room fits. But if not, I will just waste time and money for preparing room and installating sound isolation. Yes at day time is not best place for recordings because cars can ridding up to studio. However at night this place became absolutely quiet. Im not afraid of noise in room but Im afraid of room quality. Is not big and it is in underground. Lets imagine. There is ONE BIG PARKING PLACE underground with maybe 30-40 garages inside. Every garage has it owns doors (thick doors, thick walls. Because is made in SSRS times. When quality was not the best, but how we joking if things is made in SSRS it can’t be broken lol) and inside these garages are “pits” which are one more floor underground. In this “pit” I want to make studio. Im thinking maybe I just need to take video of the place, put on youtube and share it here? Then you can see what Im talking about and maybe can say to me it is worth to make it in place like this.

Talking about room moisture - for beggining if there will be only things like microphone and audio interface I think that is not be problem to bring this things with my self when I go for record and bring it back home that they will not stay at room with moisture (I know is not very comfortable however microphone and audio interface is not big or heavy things)

OK so now how I see equipment is not big problem and I have options if my start bugdet for microphone and audio interface is 500$. The biggest problem is, does my room can fit studio.
Does room can have affect to equipment I need to choose? For example if place is more cold than better to take microphones like this or this or if place is more warmer than better take microphone like this and this.. Or I can choose equipment by myself without looking at things like place climate, walls material etc.

And last thing for now. About headphones. Dont start hate me, I have Beats Solo 3. I know that is not best option for creating music and Beats “distors” real sound because of eq with more basses etc. just what you think, Beats be good for beggining or better instantly start with other headphones? Which thing is more important for start, to have good monitors or good headphones? Maybe better use Beats on my ears while I recording (to listen music) and monitors that I can listen after I done record?

Talking about mastering, music creating etc. yes I will want to do this, at least to try do this. But in first place for now is vocal quality, because I know that for this moment I dont have much time to learn mastering but I have experience in recording and working with voice. I just want that if I will make my studio growth and I will buy more equipment (like monitors etc.) that I will be not needed to replace equipment which I will buy now.

That was long text. Just trying to provide as much information as possible because is really cares to me. Thank you, have a good day!

I would have to say that “good” monitors (and that description can be debated for sure) in a fairly decently treated room are better than headphones and certainly bettter than those Beats you have. In the end......you’ll need all three........good monitors.......good headphones and good room treatment.

[MENTION=200705]NoMisicNoFun[/MENTION], if I read your reply correctly, you will only be recording in the underground space, and not doing your critical listening and mixing there? If so, then you have two spaces to worry about!

But, for just recording vocals, you still will need some kind of "treatment" to make that small, hard space not reflective so the flutter echo and sound of your voice and every other sound in the room bounce around and enter the microphone. In a perpetually damp place this will be difficult because the common, inexpensive solutions, like furniture-moving pads, lots of heavy blankets, will probably not do well there long term. Thin, egg-crate type foam will probably not be sufficient, given the amount of hard surfaces, so I would be seriously thinking about whether this space is the right one. At the least, you need to be able to treat the place well, and this is not something easy to carry in and out, so it must be able to stay there and not deteriorate in that space.

If you take your recordings home to mix in GarageBand, then what you monitor with will affect the quality of your mixes. Just like the recording space, good output ("studio" monitors) need a good space to produce the best results. However, if budget and space are a problem, good headphones are a must, and I will say you should seriously consider getting a nice pair of studio headphones that can double both for recording and mixing, so start budgeting to replace the Beats set.

Hello again,

Want to share with you my “build” list. Can someone tell me will it be good for my needs (written in thread) or there is something I need to change?

(Also, I decided that I need monitors, because Im working also with Electronic music like deep house, progressive, minimal and how I see monitors isn’t very expensive so I need to try, want to learn make master by myself)

So:

Microphone - Shure SM7b
Audio interface - Steinberg UR22
Monitors - Mackie CR4

EVERYTHING WILL USED WITH MACBOOK PRO 2017 (maybe some of the items will not well work with Apple mcb?)

Short description where and for what equipment will be used:
Place - underground garage, around 16m2 (I dont know guys if you in USA or UK measure rooms size by other measure unit, if you tell me what unit I will convert)
For - Vocal record (mostly rap) and Electronic music creating/mastering.

I understand that with this cheap equipment I cant make world class quality
remixes and masters, however I just need equipment that I can handle sound and it will be playing clearly.

Thank you!

"For - Vocal record (mostly rap) and Electronic music creating/mastering."
Oops. So much for the 'vocals only thing :>

That and Shure must be a big up-swing in SM7b sales lately (and commensurate 'CloudLifter thingies of course
:>)

Those Mackie monitors, with 4" speakers can't reproduce low end stuff (think anything below the low E of a guitar, so if you are going to be doing anything with a lot of bass, you will need to reply on headphones to hear it.
Most likely you are going to need some way to control the natural room reverberation (clap your hands loud, do you hear a lot of high fast 'echo'?)

Thanks for replies.

Mixsit - so you think better choose Cloudlifter and for example Shure SM58?
In this case I still need audio interface too yes? However sm58 and cloudlifter cost around 250$ (both) and the sm7b cost 400$, there is difference, but will it sound better?

Talking about vocal/mixing -
Vocal first thing, however just wanted something add that I can better hear clear sound of my jobs. Improve quality. Because for now I see that one song can be sound absolutely different on Mac, Beats and for example JBL ear buds. So there is headache when it comes to mastering

Mjbphotos - I dont think so that there will be some very noticable reverb in the room by the “nude ear”. However I will check and write here later :)

Talking about mackie - I chosen it because of price and that they are 2 (because most monitors come only one in package) :) :) I know not the smartest way to make decision that to buy lol :)

If you can hold out for the Adams T7 monitors. I just did a full day of monitor comparisons. I was presently surprised at the mid detail on both the Adams T5 and T7 monitors. Or look for a used set of Adams A7s (quite a bit more money though).

If you are making music and trying to mix it. imho as far as important parts to spend the money on is room and monitors. That said, you can minimize the expense of the room by using dynamic mics, good used SM7b, if you don't mind using a used mic. Using a mic like the SM7b greatly reduces the need for room treatment compared to Large Diaphragm Condensers mics. So Room/dynamic mic. Then monitors, if you are mixing this is were you need to spend your money, the problem is also if you are mixing with monitors, the need for room treatment becomes pretty much a must have situation. If you are tracking in a different location, you won't have to spend a lot, if any on room treatment with a dynamic mic. Spend the room treatment on the room you'll be mixing in, plus get the very best monitors your money can afford. After my full day of monitor comparisons in your price range, I'd buy the Adams T7, this is just my opinion though, they'll be others who won't like that monitor. I'd suggest you go to a store that has several monitors, like Guitar Center or something similar if there is something like that near you. Spend some time listening to them.. I brought in raw tracks in garage band on an ipad so I could make some mix moves, just to see how the monitors responded. Good luck on your purchases, and welcome to the home recording fun.

Back