FireWire 400 & 800 Compatibility Issues - DAW Recording

jce590

FireWire 400 & 800 compatibility issues when recording?

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have decided to overcome computer DAW phobia issues as there apparently are no decent standalone options like there was with the Yamaha AW 4416. The Tascam offering is in my opinion a stillborn baby. I am thus rather urgently looking for advice.

I have an RME400 FireWire interface. Can it be hooked up to 2010 Mac Pro 2.4ghz Quad 8 core tower without compatibility issues (clipping / popping) running through a FireWire 400 to 800 adapter on recording and mix down?

How much ram is enough ram for basic 16 - 32 track mix down scenarios in Logic Pro? The unit I am looking to buy has 16GB Ram.

I also have two Raptor 10000RPM drives. I intend to install Logic Pro. Should it be installed on the Raptor or the Mac Hard Drive?

Any prompt response will be highly appreciated, thank you!

Kind Regards
JC

Last edited:
Hi there,
In general firewire interfaces can be used with mac pro towers.
RME have OSX drivers but, at a glance, they don't seem to specifically mention modern iterations of OS X.
Which version do you intend to run?

Your best bet is to forum search to find people who are currently using that setup, taking OS version into account.

I'd install logic to the system drive as it's just the norm.
Sessions and samples can go on separate drives if you want. That makes sense.

For basic multi tracking 8gb is probably enough. :p 16-32 will definitely cover you.
I currently run 24gb with 12core Mac pro and never get near the limit.

Raptor 10k drives are showing their age so, if I were you, I consider replacing them with a single SSD. It's not necessary but your mac will show its gratitude.
There's no comparison these days. If you have money coming out your ears get a smaller SSD for the system drive too.
Thank me later :)

Hi Steenamaroo,

It has Yosemite on but can ask them to down grade to Mavericks which will probably be a better idea due to the age of the RME FW 400. The Raptors that I have been sitting in a draw. Never been used so I believe I will still get some value out of them. Hope the Mac agrees with them.

Thank You for taking time to assist!

Hi Steenamaroo,

It has Yosemite on but can ask them to down grade to Mavericks which will probably be a better idea due to the age of the RME FW 400. The Raptors that I have been sitting in a draw. Never been used so I believe I will still get some value out of them. Hope the Mac agrees with them.

Thank You for taking time to assist!

Hi,
No problem.
All you can do is do the research and find people with working setups, like I say. Unless the manufacturer specifically says the words Yosemite or Mavericks, that's the safest way.
There's every chance that interface won't play nice with yosemite, mavericks, Mountain, or even Lion.
RME simply say drivers for '10.5 and later' or '10.6 and later' but, saying that, I just checked and that driver was updated on Sept 2nd this year...
I didn't notice that at first.

The Raptors will work just fine..dont' panic. ;)
They just aren't 'the shit' any more. Nothing wrong with them, all the same.

Back