Extending specific track parts in Reaper!

Zinnydin

Hello, i'm editing a track at the moment using Reaper and there is a specific part in one of the vocal takes that i'd like to isolate so that i can extend it/slow it down for it to fit better, however finding the method for doing such a thing hasn't been as obvious as i would have assumed. I've tried to lower the rate of the particular take by highlighting the area and then adjusting the slider however it affects the entire track, surely there is a way i can do what i'm wanting to? It's literally just one word i want to edit, at the moment i've cut the specific part out from the rest of the take so as to edit it individually but i am still struggling to find the proper method. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been bugging me for a while and i feel as though it should be fairly easy but i don't get it, thank you in advance!! :)

Sounds like you're already using the proper method. You'll likely have to chop the takes up and nudge the words where you want them to better line up on the beats... You could also use something like one of the more Advanced versions of Melodyne if you have it available, I believe they have "timing" adjustment as well as "pitch" correction in them. You could also try Stretch Markers, but they may introduce unwanted artifacts, so chopping/sliding is probably a better option.

There are a number of ways of doing it.

Let's say you have three vocal phrases that you've recorded.Let's call them A,B and C. A and C are ok, but B is the one you want to slow down/ extend a bit.

Here's one way

1 Place cursor between A and B, press 'S' to split. Place cursor between B and C, then press 'S'.
2 To shift the position of B, just click on it and drag it to where you want it to start.
3 To extend it, click on the end of B, then press Alt, click and drag to the length you want.

You may have to click and drag on the end of A or the beginning of C to get rid of non-recorded bits to make room for your manipulations of B.

Back